BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

NORA INTERVIEWS ERIC WILSON

(Eric Wilson - mild mannered author)

(Eric Wilson's sillier side - enjoying his book signing for new book "Field of Blood")

I'm happy to introduce Eric Wilson, author of many books - Two of his most recent "Fire Proof" and "Field of Blood". I have to admit I have been too chicken to even open one of Eric's books because of their scary covers. Then I read "Fire Proof" a novelization of the movie by the same name (before that Eric did a novelization of Flywheel and Facing the Giants).

After reading Fire Proof and getting to know the man behind his stories through this interview, I'm glad to report to you that I have actually opened up and read at least the first chapter of several of his books. He's quite good!! I've changed my mind and I'm not afraid to actually sit down and read an entire book by him (which I will be doing soon)I hope after this interview you will too!.


How did you start your writing career? Did you always know that you wanted to be a writer?
My mom would tell you I had a pen in my hand and said words like "irascible" at the age of two. I remember first wanting to write around age ten. I still have some of my stories from that time period. My family started believeing I might actually be a writer someday after I finished a three-hundred page novel during the summer between my junior and senior years of high school. It was a lot longer till I was a published novelist, but that convinced me I could do it if I set my mind to it.

What inspires you to write? What inspires you while you are writing?

To be honest, I think the muse is somewhat of a myth. Yes, there are days I feel "inspired," but that's a mood and an emotion. The truth is, to be a writer, you have to sit down and write regardless. For me, the mood and inspiration comes while doing it, in much the same way my wife and I get in the mood by sharing some hugs and kisses. It's a choice, a commitment, and the rest is the reward.

(Book Trailer "Field of Blood" Eric's New Book)

What were your favorite books growing up? What made them so special to you?



I loved the Narnia books (imagination), Harriet the Spy (character), Encyclopedia Brown (mystery), and later the S.E. Hinton (real-life emotion) books. They all added to my empathy for the world and those around me.


Out of all the questions you've been asked in interviews is there a question you wished someone would have asked but didn't? What was the question and what is your answer?

Oooh, you've opened a door here, haven't you? I've never been asked what I would wear to the Academy Awards, if I were nominated for Best Screenplay. I can tell you now, though, that I'm sooo not into fashion and celebrity stuff. I'd go wearing a Montgomery Wards suit--no tie...I hate ties! It drives me crazy that we have people in great need both here and abroad, and we worry about wearing a $200 pair of jeans or shoes or whatever. No. I'd love to turn that whole thing on its ear.

Out of all the books you have written did you have a say in the choice of covers? You have had some amazing covers tell us about your favorites?

I've had some input in all my covers, but I would be helpless without the amazing artists and receptive ears of the editors. The only cover I had to fight hard over was "Expiration Date." The first one was horrible. I complained. No one listened. Finally, a buyer at Barnes and Noble complained that it was amateurish. That got the publisher's attention, and they changed it before it went to print. Whew!

I've heard authors say that their characters came alive and took them place they didn't expect to go? Did that happen to you in any of the books you've written? If this hasn't been your experience what has surprised you when writing your books?


Oh, my characters definitely guide my stories. I'm often surprised--usually, pleasantly--by the twists and turns they add. For me, it's a great example of God's sovereignty and our free will. I have a plan for my characters, and yet I don't want to violate that free will that often causes them to change the story's direction. In the end, though, I as the author am in control and will form the story to its rightful conclusion.

How did you come up with the idea for your book "Dark to Mortal Eyes"? Who's eye is on the cover of that book. Great cover very "Eye" catching (Ha! Ha! – I'm sorry I couldn't' resist!) Did you have a say so on the cover of this book.


I loved that cover. Some Christian bookstores actually returned it to the publisher because it looked "too scary." Oh boy! The book is all about the unseen spiritual realm that plays out around us, the realm that is "dark to mortal eyes." I never changed a thing on that cover. I don't know whose eye it is, but I imagined it as Josee's, the main character. She's a troubled, independent, college-age girl who has seen some dark things, but wants to understand God's place in her life.

Is your spouse a hands-on or hands-off kind of partner with your writing? Does she like to get involved in your work? Please explain.
1. If you had all the time in the world (and just as much money); to do anything you wanted to do, what would that be? Why?
(Recently Eric and his wife at a book signing)
My wife's involvement is practical, emotional, and spiritual. She is so supportive. She protects my space and time, while I'm writing. She picks up the slack, helps work part-time to pay the bills, and prays for me. She is incredible. She isn't much of a fiction reader, though. She doesn't read my books until they're finally printed and done.

In the book "Fire Proof" and the other novelizations that you have written is it a harder writing experience because the dialogue is word for word from the movie. You pretty much had to stick to the script – was that hard for you?

(movie trailer - "Fire Proof")

Your writing style is so different from the novelization that I have read, what preparation do you go through for a book you think up as opposed to the novelization? How do you start preparing for the novelizations that you write?
Actually, I've added a lot of dialogue, backstory, and even subplots in my novelizations. The Kendricks have the final say, but they've been very receptive to the ideas I've thrown in. They've allowed me great freedom, so long as the movie content is included. It's been a fun process, and I've even included other lines of dialogue, spliced in, that help make more sense on the page. The only thing I've done that was nixed was an arsonist subplot. The Kendricks felt that most fireman movies have that subplot, and they wanted their story to be a new take on the genre. I agree with their decision, but the first printing of the book had a small newspaper clipping at the end of chapter two that was accidentally left in. If you have one of those books, you ended up with the misprint. (Who knows? Maybe one day it'll be worth something. lol)

The preparation isn't much different. Yes, my style is different from the novelizations, but mostly in content. As a believer, I want to follow Jesus and love him with my whole heart. I get to express that more vocally through the novelizations I've done. I also know the struggle I have between spirit and flesh, mind and soul, and I try to represent that struggle honestly through the characters in my own original stories. Underneath that struggle is a deep faith and love for Jesus, but it's a much messier, less comfortable depiction than seen in the movie novelizations. If I'm sitting with a fellow believer, we can talk for hours about the Bible and things God is doing in our lives. If I'm sitting with some of my nonbelieving friends, we'll often talk about our questions and frustrations, about the hypocrisy in the human heart. I get a chance to explore both of those angles, that earthly tension between heaven and hell, in my different types of writing.

HERE ARE SOME OF THE QUESTIONS YOU WERE AFRAID TO ASK ERIC SO I DID!!

1. If you had all the time in the world (and just as much money), what would you do? Please explain.


I would travel to my heart's content. I love the world--peoples, foods, nature, everything. I want to see it all!

2. What is your favorite restaurant to have breakfast at? Why? Is there something you usually order there? If so, what is it?


I don't eat out much (not in the budget), but I love a good breakfast buffet. There's nothing like a great omelet, with veggies, meat, cheese, olives, all that good stuff.

3. If you had to be a super hero for a while who would you be and why? (you could also make up – mix and match super powers to be the hero you have always wanted to be).

I've never been much into superheroes. I've always been drawn to the real-life heroes, who work hard every day. I'd love to be able to fly, though. Give me the chance to zoom through canyons and over forests, and I'd be signing up for superhero work today.

4. If you had a time machine and could go back in time to any past event in history, where would you go and why? (This could also apply to a historic event, or a time in your own life…)


(actual pub C.S. Lewis & J.R.R. Tolkien hung out at)



Man, I love all the nooks and crannies of history. For personal pleasure, though, I'd sneak back to those English pub gatherings where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien read and discussed their then-unknown masterpieces. That would've been so cool!

5. If you were trapped in a dangerous and life threatening situation, which fictional character would you choose to save your life? (this could be a cartoon, comic book character, a super hero, a movie persona etc). Why did you pick them?

Again, not so much into superhero stuff, but...hmm...I guess I'd go with Robin Hood. I always liked that little guy against the establishment, the one standing up for the lowly.

6. Imagine you have $200.00 in your pocket, and you MUST spend it right away. What would you buy? And why? (Please be specific).

Easy. A whole bunch of the new books I want to read.

7. What was the last movie you saw at the theater? Did you have popcorn, candy, drinks? If so, what kind of goodies did you eat? Enquiring minds want to know what you like best!!

"The Express." It was a decent inspirational sports story--except for the people talking in the back row. Urrgghh. I didn't buy anything. Usually, I sneak stuff into the theaters. Otherwise, I couldn't afford to go in the first place.

8. What TV show were you most passionate about as a kid? Why?(you know the shows you couldn't miss each week).



I didn't watch a lot of TV. My first few years were spent traveling overseas. As I got older, though, I loved Magnum P.I. and Call to Glory.

9. If you could interview or hang out with two people in the history of the world for a day who would you pick and why?



I would interview Adam. I'd want to know what things were like at the beginning. As for hanging out, I really wish I could've spent some time with Madeleine L'Engle ("A Wrinkle in Time" author) before she died.

10. If you found a magic lamp and a genie inside was going to grant you 3 wishes; what would you wish for and why?


Hmm. I'd wish for free air-travel for life. I'd want a lighthouse to live and write in. I'd want the chance to treat my wife to a week of shopping, dining, and theater in NYC. She is so non-materialistic, and so deserves to be treated like a queen!

THANK YOU Eric for hanging out with us today and letting us get to know you better.

ARE THERE ANY LAST COMMENTS YOU WOULD LIKE TO LEAVE MY READERS WITH?

Thanks for supporting authors and books. It's often a lonely job, and it means so much to hear from readers or to read a review that lets you know what you're doing is not in vain. Thanks for letting me take up a few minutes of your time. I'm honored.

All the Best to you Eric. I look forward to reading your new book "Field of Blood". I really enjoyed "Fire Proof". Remember if you are ever in Atlanta you have to stop by!!

Blessings on your writing friend.

Nora :D

1 comment:

  1. Eric is so fun! Thanks for the interview. I think he's the best. And he's right, writing is a lonely life. So the more feedback and encouragement we get the more energy we receive that helps us to do what God has called us to do, Amen? :) And the Field of Blood book trailer was so cool, I'm posting it on my blog, too. :)

    ReplyDelete