BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

LINORE ROSE BURKARD'S INTERVIEW #2


Did you have a say in picking out the cover for either of your books? Was that a fun experience for you, why?


When I self published, the company I chose did a wonderful job with the cover. They had given me two choices, and I picked the better one. A funny thing was that the woman on the cover was given dark hair—I had to write an email and tell them that every single person who read the book ( about my lovely blond-haired heroine) would look at that picture and wonder who the heck that gal was! So they changed it for me to blond.



I have yet to see the final cover from Harvest House for the December release (as of this interview) but they have already agreed to re-work their first design. The clothing wasn't correct for the Regency. So they're being great about it to re-do it for me.

Can you describe for me a moment in your life that you knew beyond a shadow of a doubt God was real? Not just a story you read in a book?

Yes. At one time I was facing a decision I had to make that scared me. Someone had suggested I join this therapy group, which I had about as much desire to go to as jumping off a bridge. But I promised I'd pray about it. Well! When I put it to the Lord with a simple question, He immediately responded, very strongly, with an unmistakable “GO!” I've had other experiences of hearing his voice (not necessarily audibly) but on this occasion, my goodness, I had to go because he'd answered me so clearly and emphatically. I don't think I'd ever have made it to that meeting without such strong incentive because I was truly terrified at the thought of it (opening up before other people? Yikes! No, thank you!) but His voice got me there. That little group ended up changing my life in a powerful way.

I was intrigued by Ariana and how she stuck to her guns about what was important to her in life. Everyone thought that this was a crazy thing for her to do. I wondered if women back then would really be taken seriously. Could they really have that much power as to who they would marry or not?


Interestingly, the richer the family a woman was from, the less likely she might have been to have a choice of whom she would marry. People married for title, status, money, and just plain survival. Ariana's circumstances were such that her parents would not force her to marry a man because of his wealth or title. She (and they) weren't starving, and their religious convictions were such that they could trust God for the right person. There is nothing historically inaccurate about this—just that most people involved in high society were not usually of the deeply religious sort.


TOP THINGS YOU WERE AFRAID TO ASK LINORE, SO I DID! :D

If you had to pick a super hero to hang out with for a day who would you pick and why?

Jesus. It would be scary because he has no illusions about what's in my heart and he knows it all, but it would be so fascinating and wonderful and priceless I'd do it, anyway. Imagine the change in yourself if you could spend a day with God!


What is the neatest place you have ever visited and why? What made it so neat, special, memorable for you?

Vermont. I was staying with my cousin and when she went to work one day and I was completely alone in a house that was alone in the middle of nowhere, it was a feeling I'd never had before. So freeing. (I grew up in Queens, New York). I went out on the back porch, a flat deck, and played music and danced out there by myself. My only witness was God. It was glorious!

If you had all the time in the world (and just as much money) to do anything you wanted to do; what would you do?



Travel. I'd start with England and stay there for months, maybe a year. Then I'd move on and do a “Grand Tour” in the old style. Italy, “the continent,” Germany. It would be a blast. And I would visit every art museum I came across and spend as long as I wanted to, there.

If you could interview or hang out with someone for a day who would you pick? Why?


Francine Rivers. Just to listen to her talk about her writing, and her writing-related experiences, getting her works onto film and that sort of stuff. Why? Because she is where I want to be. I believe in learning from people who model what you want. People who are ahead of you and can teach you so that you can move ahead, too.

If you had to pick to be a contestant on a TVshow which one would you pick? Why would you pick that show to be on?

Jeopardy. When we used to watch tv, my kids were always saying, “Mom, you should go on Jeopardy!” I love the show, but in reality I don't think fast enough for it.

If you had 24 hours to hang out with anyone dead or alive in the history of the world, what two people would you pick and why?

Marie Antoinette--(if I spoke French or German!) To tell her to wise up before it's too late.

My grandfather—because I was too young when he died to know him.

Given the time period that you have written about what would be the neatest thing to experience at that time and why?



The sort of success that my heroine experiences—all the glitter of the high life, the excitement of falling in love, “standing up” with the Regent at Carlton House—I included many things precisely because they would be the neatest things to experience at that time!


Star Wars or Lord of the Rings? Why did you pick that one?


Definitely Lord of the Rings. Star Wars was good on film, but Lord of the Rings is good literature, and has more noble characters in it.

Thank you Linore for letting the ladies in my book club and others get to know you better. I appreciate you hanging out with us.

Anything else you would like to say or comment on?

Nora, this is the most I have shared in an interview to date! Rest assured that your book club now knows me better than most all other readers! Thanks so much for your interest.

Many blessings your way!!!

THANKS LINORE!! REMEMBER if you are ever in Atlanta, we have to do lunch, and book club of course! You are such a great sport. I'm sure that we will see each other in person my friend - Lord willing. I know it will be more exciting than cyberspace. Ha! (You do have my sisters first name after all! Not Kidding)

Nora :D

WIN A COPY OF LINORE'S BOOK!

Simply read the interview and leave a comment about something Linore said. One commenter will get a free copy of Before the Season Ends.PLUS,if you've already read this book and want to leave a comment, you can win a free copy of the sequel, The House in Grosvenor Square. (Just mention which book you want to win if you prefer the sequel.It isn't out yet, but Linore will keep your information and send you your book when it's available.) But do tell your friends and family about the giveaway! We need a minimum of ten unique comments to draw a winner!

So, comment away, and good providence to you! Drawing is December 14th. I will post in the comments who the winner is:D

28 comments:

  1. It was so interesting to me when God prompted her to "GO" to the therapy meeting. I know exactly what she means that he spoke to her....not audibly but somehow we hear in our souls the sound of God's voice prompting.

    The books sound wonderful. I would like a copy of "Before the Seasons End" if I am the lucky winnter.

    Gayla Collins
    gayla.c@bresnan.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would pick Francine Rivers too! Great interview. Thanks for showcasing such an interesting author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linore is in a yahoo Christian Book Club i am in.
    i would love to win her book and then talk to her about it.
    i have to agree that if i was going to be a contestant on any show it would be jeopardy. my kids call me the bureau of useless information. but i can't think fast enough either.

    thanks,
    ellen

    grammieofsix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this interview and enjoyed looking at all the pictures. I am certainly a fan of Linore's. Hi Linore!

    Robin Shope

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great interview! I also enjoyed looking at all the pictures. I am a fan of Linore's books. Hi Linore!
    Robin Shope
    write2robinshope(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed Linore's interview, and like Gayla,also believe we hear God when he wants us too. I listened when I thought I wouldn't and now my life is richer for it.
    I'm adding my name to the list for your giveaway, and since I've never read any of this authors work...I'd like the first book, "The House on Grosvenor Square" if I'm lucky enough to win.

    Thank you,
    Sandy

    Muzzley56[at]aol[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love the interview. As she said, she would love to spend a lot of time in England, as would I!

    I also enjoyed her comments about her visit to Vermont!

    Please enter me in the contest.

    Thank you,

    Becky C.

    rec(at)hiwaay)dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  8. That third picture of where Linore would like to travel reminded me much of Italy, in particular Venice. Perhaps there are other cities that have the water between buildings for travel by boat throughout besides just Venice.
    I haven't read anything by Linore yet and don't own any books of hers so I'd like to start with Before the Season Ends if I win and then will look forward to the sequal too at a later date.
    So much of the time when people "hang out", they don't share their real selves. Be it from pride or secrets or what ever the reason. How freeing that would be to visit with Jesus because, as Linore says "he has no illusions about what's in my heart and he knows it all". I could truly just be myself and know He is doing the same!
    Pam Williams
    cepjwms at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. i look forward to reading this book and would like to be part of your giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a great interview! Thank you for sharing about yourself, I feel like I just experienced a small mental vacation! I would love to read your book. Thank you Nora! Lynn McIntosh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview. I loved what you said about your book not being historically accurate. I think so many times we've lost the true meaning of the art of story telling. We're so worried about the rules and being accurate that we forget that these are indeed just stories. Now, however, I can understand how weird it would be to have an automobile in a story set in the 1700's, but as for me, I don't care about whether or not's it's accurate, I just want to read a good story. And this sounds like a good one. So, please add my name to the drawing.

    Thank you.

    Debra Ullrick
    The Bride Wore Coveralls, Heartsong Presents #789
    Déjà vu Bride, the sequel to, The Bride Wore Coveralls
    Dixie Hearts, coming February 2009
    www.debraullrick.com
    Email address: christianromancewriter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, loved it when God told you to GO - I have had similar experiences and it is a comfort to hear He deals with others that way, too. I haven't read your book, and would love to read it!! Thanks to Nora for all her hard work and dedication to our wonderful book club!!

    Marcia Massie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview ladies. I would love to read the book. I think it is really neat that Linore said she would like to spend time with her grandfather. When given that question, I think sometimes we tend to think of famous or legendary people. Like Linore, I think it would, indeed, be awesome to spend time with my grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful interview! Jesus is definitely my superhero as well. What an awesome day that would be to spend it with the Lord. I also am with you on the Lord of the Rings although my hubby would disagree with me. He loves Star Wars.

    cherierj(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the great interview, Linore. I'll be looking for your new book. It sounds like it's set in an interesting era.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How special to wish for a day to reunite with Grandfather! Could one day ever be enough? Someday, I am sure...we will all reunite. I just love Linore's writing style, and I became an instant fan upon reading Before the Season Ends. I would love to be entered into the drawing for The House on Grosvenor Square, should I be so fortunate!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like a wonderful story and such an interesting interview! Please enter me in the drawing.
    Blessings to all,
    Carrie(at)turansky(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nora has asked many authors who they would like to hang out with and some of them said Jesus (as you did) which would be my answer, too. However, I never thought about the fact that He would know all about me already and I really don't know what I would do then. I guess after a while I would become comfortable and then I could ask Him all the questions I have. But in the beginning I think I would be a little uncomfortable! Imagine talking to someone who know "everything" about you!!!

    Haven't read Linore's book but would love to. Thanks for the interview and as always thanks Nora for all you do.

    Gail Mundy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun interview! While visiting Boston in Sept. we traveled to the neighboring states, but Vermont was one we just did not get to, hope to in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome interview! I wanna read!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Nora, for introducing me to Linore. I enjoyed the interviews and look forward to reading her book. Tisha

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great interview. I felt like I was sitting there with you in on the conversation :) I love historical fiction - this sounds like a good one.
    angela

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the interview. I would agree with you about "traveling" if I had all the time and money to do it.

    danelli04 [at] hotmail[dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks everyone for leaving such good comments for Linore. Thanks Linore for sharing your new book and giving away a copy. The winner of your new book is Pam Williams. Linore will be contacting you Pam.

    Thanks for stopping by Linore. You are such a good sport. Thanks for answering my fun questions. We have gotten to know you better because you did. Love the Photos.

    MERRY CHRISTMAS FRIEND

    Nora :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nora, it was such a pleasure to work with you! You are so creative and just go that extra mile in making interviews more interesting. I think the many great comments about our interview are proof enough of that.
    And I,too, want to thank you lovely ladies for reading about me and my book, and for all the interest. Please stay with me by signing up for my newsletter on my website! I love keeping in touch with my friends and readers.
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, WOW! Thanks so much, Nora! I'll be looking for Linore's note to send her my address. Thanks for the great interviews you do!
    Pam Williams

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooops, I forgot on my last comment, to leave my email so Linore could contact me. Here it is and thanks again!
    Pam Williams
    cepjwms at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was a great interview. I was particularly struck by that part of the interview where Linore stated that women who were from the wealthier set were less likely to have a choice in who they married. I am a big history fan so little tidbits are fun to read.

    ReplyDelete