BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

NORA INTERVIEWS COLLEEN COBLE








Colleen before we get started talking about being an author you have some really exciting news to share with us. One of your dreams has come true. I'm so excited for you!! Do share!



GRAMMY COLLEEN!:Our little angel has made her appearance.

You bet! This is a dream come true. I've wanted a grandchild for YEARS!!! Isn't she beautiful. It's been such a delight. I call her Grammy's little angel so as a surprise they had angel pictures taken. LOL

Alexa weighed in at 7 lbs 14 oz and was 20 inches long. I'm over the moon in love with her already! Isn't she the most beautiful baby? There are more pictures on the blog at Girls Write Out . And I'd love to have you go vote for her here . If she wins, she might be featured in Parents magazine's weekly newsletter!

**THANK YOU for sharing these precious pictures with us Colleen. She is an Angel!!**

How did you start out your writing career? Did you always know you wanted to be an author?
I can still remember the first story I ever wrote. It was in first grade and was about twin colts. Even back then I liked to write about animals! My teacher praised my writing, and the seed was planted. Someday I would be a writer.


The seed lay dormant through the early years of marriage and raising a family. “Someday” I was going to write. I devoured books by the armloads from the library, and it bothered me to read the hopelessness in them that assumed there was no God. Through those years, I told God if he’d give me a story, I’d love to write from the viewpoint that he exists and cares about his children. But nothing came. Someday, I told myself.


August 25, 1990 changed everything. The phone rang late that night with the news that my younger brother, Randy Rhoads, had been killed by lightning in a freak farm accident. In the coming months, as I emerged from the storm of grief, I realized that if I was ever going to follow the dream I believed God had put in my heart, I needed to get started. I was approaching my fortieth birthday, and time was marching on. I told God I was ready, but still nothing came.



As part of the grieving process, my husband and I made a trip out to Wyoming to see where Randy had lived during a two-year stint. We hadn’t made it to see him while he was there, and he loved Wyoming. As I stood on the parade ground at Fort Laramie, the first idea took root and sprouted. The fire of grief and adversity had finally cracked open the seed that had lain dormant in my heart all those years.

It still wasn’t easy. Getting published is hard and takes work and commitment. But I never gave up on the long road to the first sale because God wouldn't let me. Every time I was tempted to let the computer go dark, God whispered in my heart that I could do it. That he had given me everything I needed to go on, that I must go on. Seven years later (seven is God’s number so that was perfect!) I finally made the first sale. But God taught me about faith and perseverance through those seven years.

Looking back, I’m glad it wasn’t easier. It makes me appreciate so much more the joy and privilege I have to share my novels with my readers and to hopefully make them a little thirsty for the One who holds out a cup of living water.

Is your spouse a hands-on or a hands-off partner? How much does he or she have to do with your fiction writing?



Dave is very hands on! He helps me brainstorm and reads everything before it goes in to the publisher. He's great at catching timeline issues and all kinds of small details. Love it!





Does the Fiction writing come easy for you, or is it difficult? Who helps you with your plot twists and turns?


It comes easy for me because fiction is my love. I've read several novels a week ever since I could pick up a book. Reading is often the best tool to learn to write fiction. I brainstorm with Dave and with my crit partners, Denise Hunter and Diann Hunt. The actual twists and turns usually come as I'm writing though. Those characters just take over the book!

How did you get the idea for Anathema?" Did you come up with the title to the book? If not, what was your working title?









The idea was born one day while talking to my agent about the Amish school shooting. My agent asked, "What would happen if an Amish woman couldn't forgive?" That got my creative juices flowing and I started thinking about it. Then one night at a conference, my agent and I brainstormed with Mel and Cheryl Hodde (Hannah Alexander), Diann Hunt, Denise Hunter and Cara Putman. Mel came up with the title. **Boy Colleen, you have a GREAT team of Crit Partners - I'd like to be a fly on the wall of your discussions :D* The Rock Harbor Series was great to read. It definitely shows a woman in a very different job role. How did you come up with the idea for that series? What research did you do in order to write these series? That's my readers' favorite series so far, though the Lonestar series is giving it a run for its money. LOL I was in a doctor's office and needed something to read. The only thing there was a hunting magazine. Ick. But I was desperate so picked it up. There was an article about search and rescue in Yellowstone. I thought it would be a great backdrop to a series. In researching the search and rescue, the dog search stuff popped up and I was hooked when I realized all those dogs could do. I knew I had to write about it. What book can we expect to be released next Colleen? The next book out is one in the Rock Harbor series called Cry in the Night. Poor Bree is in terrible trouble. It will be out in Feb 09. The book I'm now writing is called Nightsong and it's set along swamp near Charleston. It's kind of a Gothic novel, fun to write. Colleen can you give us a sneak peek into what you are working on now? The book I'm working on now is called Nightsong and it's set along swamp near Charleston. It's kind of a gothic novel, fun to write. Would you believe my editor thought Nightsong was too different from my normal stories? :( With my books selling so well, she didn't want to mess with success so we've tabled Nightsong, at least for now. Right now I'm working on the third Lonestar book titled onestar Homecoming. Is being an author everything you thought it would be? If not,what has been surprising to you?I love it! One thing I never expected though is how deadlines are constant and there is seldom a break. Did you have a say so in choosing any of the book covers for your books? How did that process go for you? I'm sooo lucky!! The Thomas Nelson team is phenomenal at covers. I see the cover the team likes best and then get to comment on it. If I hate it, they'd go back to the drawing board but so far I've loved everything they've done. How hard is it for you to come up with names for the characters in your stories? Please describe how you go about deciding on the final names for your characters? I have a book called The Baby Name Survey Book, What People Think About Your Baby's Name. It's really helpful. If I want a name that makes people think of someone strong and handsome, it will help me find it. Nora is considered an old-fashioned name suitable for an older farmer who is hardworking and serious. LOL That fit my character, don't you think? ***I have to ask you this question, where did you get the name "NORA"!! in the book Anthema? I haven't read a book with my name in it before. It hasn't been very common for years - Although it's making a come back. It was also weird to have Nora killed in this story. Ha! Ha! Inquiring minds (Mine) would like to know!** Sure you want the answer? *YES, I just HAVE to know* LOL I read a book about Amish names and Nora was one that stood out to me. So you could go live there and fit in! **NO, The Amish Life is Not for me! Although it would help to know their skills if our technology fails and we have to start doing things manual again. I don't think anyone is ready for that - Are You Colleen? Ha! Ha!** QUESTIONS I JUST HAD TO ASK Imagine you have $200.00 dollars in your pocket, and you MUSTspend it right away. What would you buy? Why? A new iPod. Love technology! If you had a time machine and could visit any past event,what would it be? Why? This can apply to a historic events or a timein your own life… (your the author be creative). The high point of the Roman empire. I wanted to be a Latin teacher for a long time and I had three years of Latin. Loved all that Roman history and mythology. I want to go to Rome someday. If you had all the time in the world (and just as much money); to do ANYTHING you wanted, what would you do? Spend a year in Hawaii. f you found a magic lamp and a genie was going to grant you three wishes—what would those three wishes be? I just got the top one--a grandchild!!! The other two would be for my kids to always be happy and serving the Lord Third to die still writing. 5.What was the first film you remember seeing as a child? What impact did it have on you? We didn't go to films as a child. I'm OLD. LOL But I LOVED Lassie on TV. And that's probably why I always have dogs in my books. What TV shows were you passionate about as a child? Why? (You know the shows you couldn't miss each week!!!) I mentioned Lassie but when I was a teenager I loved Star Trek. Still do. I'm a Trekkie at heart! Loved that adventure and the thought of seeing strange new worlds. Now I create them. If you could be a superhero for a while which one would you be? Why? Superwoman. I'm a crusader and love to try to set things right for people--sometimes when it's not wanted. LOL If money was no object or time where is your favorite place to eat breakfast and dinner? What do you like to order? On the porch at the house we rented in Kauai last year. And I'd have lobster. Do you have a favorite board game you liked playing as a child, or you love playing now? If so, what is it? If not what did you games did you play as a kid? Aggravation. Though I'd get aggravated. LOL I HATE Monopoly! I can't stand to bankrupt anyone. LOL You have to pick one!! Which TV show would you pick to be on and WHY? Inquiring minds want to know!!! (dream here lets say you have the ability to do everyone one of these shows requires. If you don't seeone listed here you would like to be on let me know - just add it!Ha!) It would be Biggest Loser. I LOVE that show and it's such an inspiration to me. The new season just started and I'm hooked already. LOL ANY LAST COMMENTS YOU WOULD LIKE TO MAKE? Thanks for these really fun and different questions, Nora! Love the way you think outside the box. Colleen OK, Colleen, I just have to share one least picture of that little angel with the "taggie" blanket you made her last week. It's precious. I appreciate you sharing this! Thanks also for letting us get to know you better. It's been so much fun to hang out with you. I loved the wonderful pictures of your angel -your wish come true. Beautiful baby but of course she has a beautiful grandma inside and out! Blessings on your writing friend. See you soon - May 2009- I like the sound of that. We are really looking forward to you speaking at book club!!! Until Next Time Nora :)

10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this interview, Nora! I have to say it was the most fun one ever. Loved all those quirky questions! Looking forward to our May visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I've loved everything I've read by Colleen, especially the Rock Harbor series. I'm looking forward to the reading the newest.
    Blessings to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very enjoyable time I had reading the interview and can't wait to read Colleen's books. I have a few of them here and have to get started reading them.

    Blessings,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Interview! Very fun. Can you believe that I have never read a Colleen Coble book yet..they always sound good though. I am reviewing Cry in the Night and its my next book to read and I Can't wait. I will finally get to see how her writing is. :)

    Stormi
    http://writesthoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nora, you always do the best interviews! No one ever has the same questions as you and we always find out the coolest stuff! I'm going to go vote for Colleen's angel!

    Blessings,
    Mimi B

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview--I acknowledged Colleen in my 1st book. She encouraged me so..

    Brenda Lott at 1:20pm February 8

    (FaceBook Comment)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous interview and what a beautiful baby. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this interview and Love this lady...

    Denise Goude Hildreth at 8:31pm February 8


    (Comment Posted on Face Book)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really enjoyed the interview. The book sounds great!

    Gail Mundy

    ReplyDelete