BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

BONEMAN'S DAUGHTER - REVIEWED



Boneman's Daughters
By Ted Dekker
Published By: Center Street - Hachette Book Group
ISBN#978-1-59995-195-9
401 Pages


Back Cover: Would You kill an innocent man to save your daughter?
They call him BoneMan, a serial killer who's abducted six young women. He's the perfect father looking for the perfect daughter, and when his victims fail to meet his lofty expectations, he kills them by breaking their bones and leaving them to die.

Intelligence officer Ryan Eans, on the other hand, has lost all hope of ever being the perfect father. His daughter and wife have written him out of their lives.

Everything changes when BoneMan takes Ryan's estranged daughter, Bethany, as his seventh victim. Ryan goes after Boneman on his own.

But the FBI sees it differently. New evidence points to the suspicion that Ryan is BoneMan. Now the hunter is the hunted, and in the end only one father will stand.

REVIEW:If you are having trouble staying awake at night, I have a cure. Read Ted Dekker’s latest thriller “Bone Man’s Daughter and you will not sleep for a week. The cover warns you that this book is “A new reason to keep the lights on and the doors locked” and it is more than a cute quote to sell the book. They are serious! My wife gave me this book because she knows I love to read Ted and actually have read everything he has written. I must confess that I almost didn’t read this one though. I mean I started to read it and there is one chapter that was so disturbing that I actually threw the book on the floor and told her I was done with it. I actually walked by it for two days before I decided to pick it up and finish what I started.

I have read most of Stephen King and I am a big Brandilyn Collins fan so it is not like I am thin skinned about my reading. This book has a dimension of violence, especially in the beginning, that is both intimate and personal and I warn you it is not for those who are timid.

Ted lives up to his reputation for creating adrenaline laced-plots with an incredible confrontation between good and evil and then also transcends the enmity between evil and innocence. What he does in this book is very different than anything he has written before, in my humble opinion. He has connected us with the helplessness and horror of the victim and in such a way that it festers fear in the very heart, as well as rage at the unanswered pleadings of those about to die. It makes it more than personal and this can be extremely disturbing.

For those with thicker skins, who see this type of mental manipulations as entertaining, I will promise you that this will be a fantasy ride worth climbing into. A virtual “Space Mountain” of a book, with twists and turns galore.

For those of you expecting a simple; action packed, thriller from the mind of Ted: I say beware! You are about to enter into the dark side where your heart will be removed, wrung out and replaced upside down and backwards, if at all and where you will certainly awake with a start at the things that go “BUMP” in the night. At least for awhile. Muuhahahaha….

REVIEWED BY: Fred St.Laurent
THE BOOK CLUB NETWORK Administrator

6 comments:

  1. I have read all of Ted's works as well, but even so, didn't find it too disturbing. Most of us watch movies with much more violence in them. Not that we should be desensitized to violence, but Ted needed to show those things to give us a powerful emotional experience, so we could feel the way he wanted us to feel. I daresay it worked.
    Glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was his best yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I preferred Adam to this one. I think he blurred the lines between those who tend toward evil and those who shun it but get sucked into it.
    Your review was well done. I had some similar feelings and some different. I'd be interested to know how you'd respond to my review if you have the time (hopeofglory.typepad.com).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nichole. I left my comments on your review. i thought it was great!
    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  4. KC,
    I enjoyed your review of both Boneman's Daughter and of Deadlock. (I am reading Deadlock now... great!)

    Boneman impacted me emotionally because of the connection I had with one of the victims in Iraq and he reminded me of my son (14)

    It is a gut wrenching novel no doubt and I am glad I read it. I do think that it is not for everyone though and folks need to beware .... it is emotionally violent.
    Thanks so much for your comments and I now have your blog in my favorites :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, Fred. Your comments didn't post. Thank you, though, for taking the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ted Dekker, but with my already lack of sleep I might wait on this one. I am thinking after baby is born this will be idea, because it will help me stay awake at night.

    ReplyDelete