BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

BOOK CLUB ENCOUNTERS - FEATURING AUTHOR BILL MYERS


BIO: Bill Myers is an award winning novelist with more than 8 million books and videos sold. His cutting edge, spiritual thrillers will keep you up late at night. Bill also writes incredibly funny children's books for all ages. For a complete list of all his books got to his website at www.Billmyers.com.

Which do you prefer? Live, on the phone, or the on-line author chat? Why?

BILL: Oh, live or by phone, a thousand percent. I started out as an actor and still do occasional bits. I love people and, for me, sitting behind a computer for hours on end is sooooooo lonely.

Please describe a book club experience that really moved you, encouraged you. Why did it touch you?


BILL: Remember, I write both kid and adult books. Lots of times when I do a speakerphone interview with kids in a classroom (we can sorta call that a book club, can’t we?) I love it when some monosyllabic boy mumbles, "Mr. Myers, I hate reading, will ya hurry up and get that next book written." And for the adults, I'm amazed at how nearly every time a club reads one of my older titles, ELI (a retelling of the Gospel as if it happened today), there is someone, all thick-voiced, saying how they were Christians their entire life but now they finally get it. Those comments make all the loneliness we talked about earlier worthwhile.

What surprised you most about doing a live book club event?

BILL: That people actually show up!

What surprised you about doing a phone chat with a club?


BILL: How honest folks can be. In person there is a certain politeness and reservation. With the phone, after a few minutes, they really let go and say what they're thinking.





What surprised you most about doing the on-line book club chat?



BILL: I'm impressed at how thoughtful the questions can be. I write to explore some mystery of God. Reviewers are always saying how provocative I am (I hope that's a good word, I’m not sure) and how thought provoking my stuff is. Yet, I'm always surprised at how many folks actually have the same thoughts and are touched in the same way as I was.

What do you like most about the book club experience?


BILL: Again, just the human experience that we are not in this alone, that we're all on the same incredible cruise exploring and experiencing an infinite God who is intimately concerned.





Did you get an unexpected reaction to a book your read? Didn't expect your audience to find something on one of your books or react they way they did?



BILL: Always. And I guess that's what happens when you explore an infinite God. It's like my words touch off a series of discoveries in the reader that I may not have seen . . . and the reader's response sets off a series of discoveries in me that they haven't seen . . . and, well, on it goes. In some ways I think of the angels circling God's throne in Revelation. They keep saying the same words over and over again, "Holy, holy, holy." I used to think, “Man, what a boring job, 24/7 of saying the same thing over and over.” But now I understand that each and every time they cry out, 'Holy!" it's because they've seen some new and unbelievable aspect of God they had not seen before. To me that's what writing is, discovering some astonishing element of God. And the reader’s reactions are often agreeing with that element and then pointing to something even better.










Hey Bill, Thanks for stopping by and sharing your book club experiences with us today. I enjoyed reading your books to my kids and were amazed by the fiction books you have written for adults. They have really stretched my view of God and what might be possible. If you haven't read any of Bill's books, you are missing not only a treat but some of the most thought provoking stories. Bills books have touched me deeply and made me go to scripture for another look and/or made me really think about what I really believed.


If you haven't read his childrens books my kids favorites were the My life as ... and Agent Dingdorf series. I laughed and laughed with my kids at the same time Bill illustrated bibical principles throughout these entertaining stories. I hope to chat with you again real soon,Bill.

All the Best to you in your reading adventures!!

Sincerely,

Nora :D
ACFW On-Line Book Club Coordinator

0 comments:

Post a Comment