BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

NORA INTERVIEWS CAROL NICHOLS (AKA C.S.Basham)


DEFIANCE IN THE FACE OF HELL
By C.S. Basham
Published by Tate Publishing
ISBN#978-1-60799-429-9
149 Pages


BACK COVER: Dasha grew up in a concentration camps. Norbert serves as a Polish soldier until captured by the Germans. Lucia spent much of the war fleeing from the Germans, only to be captured by the Russians. Joseph, a teenager, became aware of just how deadly the concentration camps were on his first night at Auschwitz. Elizabeth experienced her twenty-first birthday at Auschwitz. George literally lived in a hole in the ground, aided by friends who risked their lives to help a Jew. In Definance in the Face of Hell, these six survivors of the Holocaust share their poignant and painful memories of how the war affected them. Carefully woven and retold by C.S. Basham, these delicate sotires will break your heart and graner your deep respect.

Blurb: This is one book that gives you an incredible insight into the concentration camp situation and it's survivors. It's not graphic but tells you enough to experience the unimaginable and have a respect for these survivors. This is a small book that packs a poweful punch.

1. How did you get the idea for this book? How long did this book take you to write?


I was sitting in church listening to the sermon on how to hear God, when this idea came to me to write on the holocaust. Not just about the holocaust, but interview individuals when survivored. It took me a long time to convince myself that God has asked me to do this. He was very persistent. From the time I first wrote letters to synagogues to publication, ten years had past.

2. Did you always know you wanted to be a writer? If not, how did you start writing?


I was and am an avid reader, and wrote only in school when I had an assignment. I enjoyed it and received high marks for my work, but not until I became a registered nurse did I begin to take writing seriously.



3. Did you come up with the title to this book? If not, what was the working title?



No the editor had me change it. The working title was similar, "Defying the Face of Hell".

4. What made you want to write about this topic? It’s kind of heavy.




This was an assignment by God. I only pray I did it justice for Him.



5. Can you tell me the circumstances around the people that you interviewed for this book? How did you conduct the interviews for your book?

Everyone I interviewed carried a lot of scars (emotionally and some physically). This was not an easy story for them to tell. I went to some of their homes, and two interviews were done by my husband for me. The last two were phone interviews only. Their choice.

6. What are you working on now? Can you give us a sneak peek into your new project?

At present I am working on a book of fiction. It deals with a woman faced with a choice, death by execution or reject God to save her life and two others.

7. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how the writing of this book came about?


I am a mother of three and a homemaker at present. I have worked as a teacher and a registered nurse for most of my adult life.

AS I said, sitting in church, God gave me this to do. I had written a book on nursing, but was unable to get it published. Thinking I was wrong about writing, I had decided not to pursue it further. God had other ideas, thankfully.

8. Is there an author’s book that you would buy ASAP knowing nothing about it? If so, what’s so great about this author?

I don't have a favorite author where I would rush to buy a book without knowing anything of its' contents. But I do have a few authors I look forward to reading most of their books.

9. Do you have any reading rituals, (taking notes, favorite reading spot, highlighting your book etc)?



I read whenever and wherever I get the chance. I seldom take notes, reminds me of school.



10. What about the publishing process surprised you?

How protective I was of my writing and how personal I took their suggestions on changes. But, I managed to keep my eyes on the goal, and they were great with me.

QUESTIONS I I KNOW YOU WANTED TO ASK CAROL BUT WERE AFRAID TO SO I DID!!

When you read a book that’s the start of a series, do you usually continue with reading the rest of the series? Are you more or less likely to pick up a book that is part of a series?



I am not much on a series. There are a couple of series I have read from start to finish. A prime one was the "Left Behind" series. I really need to love the characters or plots to complete a series.

If you had a $1,000 gift card to your favorite book store and only half an hour to spend it, which section of the store would you head to first?



The history section.




Someone has lent you a time machine—you can experience any two events in the history of the world—where would you want to go?




To the very beginning and the American Revolution.




If you could hang out with any body (besides Jesus), in the history of the world. Who would you pick and what would you do?


In the Biblical realm, I would love to hang out with Mary as she raised Jesus from conception, and how she handled his death. I believe it would be a wonderful experience to see her life and how people treated her and her reactions to them.



What are (3) most memorable books from your childhood?



Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, and Ethan Froam.



You find yourself in a life threatening situation and you need someone to save you who would you pick? ( you can pick anyone in movies, books, the sky is the limit)



I would pick God. But is it is to be a mortal, I love watching only Gary Cooper movies, so Gary Cooper.

What movie most affected you as a kid?


"Gone With The Wind".

What 5 books do you recommend to everyone you know?


"Of Mice and Men", "Arrowsmith" "Sherlock Holmes", "Dr. Jeykel and Mr. Hyde", "The Bell Jar".




These books show us mankind at it's best and worst.If you want nonfiction, "Nicholas and Alexandra" any book on American history and ancient history.
















If you had a whole day to yourself what would you do? Why?












I would go snorkeling. under the ocean, it is so peaceful and orderly. God created beauty and harmony on this earth and the ocean is a prime example of it.

ANY FINAL COMMENTS YOU’D LIKE TO LEAVE MY READERS WITH??




Read, read, read. Follow your dreams and open your heart and ears to God. He will guide you well. Thank you so much Nora. This was fun.

My book will be in the bookstores September 1, 2009. It can be purchased on line at, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/
The ISBN# is: 978-1-60799-429-9 AMAZON LINK

Hey Carol, thanks so much for stopping by and letting us get to know you and your book better. I've enjoyed you as a book club member and it's been exciting to see you on the author journey. I've learned so much by reading your book about this topic. It was fascinating and horrifying all at the same time but not over the edge. I felt you kept a good balance in your book. I know you’ve told me you could have written more about their experiences. It is such an unimaginable situation, I’m so glad that you’ve written about it.

Blessings to you on your writing adventures.

Nora :D


LEAVE A COMMENT ABOUT THIS INTERVIEW FOR YOUR CHANCE TO WIN A COPY OF THIS POWERFUL, AND MOVING BOOK!! DRAWING OCTOBER 3rd.


****DISCLAIMER: Entering the give away is considered a confirmation of eligibility on behalf of the enterer in accord with these rules and any pertaining local/federal/international laws. Void where prohibited; open only to U.S. residents, odds of winning depend on number of entrants

16 comments:

  1. Great interview--book looks compelling. I love some of the same books as Carol. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Carol. I'm curious, why the pen name? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this was a great interview. I really loved what you said about snorkeling. You are so right, it is a wonderful and peaceful way to savor God's craftmanship. Best of luck to you Carol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great book Carol. I tend to shy away from such realistic books, but I think I would like to try this one. I'm curious like Ane, why the pen name?

    Great interview Nora! See ya Monday night.

    Gail Mundy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed the interview Nora and Carol. Congratulations on your success, Carol. Tisha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am blessed to call Carol my step-mom, so my opinion of the book might be seen as biased - However, I found it a quick read delivering insight into a topic I knew little about until now. I appreciate that the focus was on each individuals SURVIVAL versus the horrible atrocities that they endured. Each person was changed differently, yet every story shows us that we can endure even what we think we cannot by the grace of God.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nora and Carol I enjoyed the interview. It's neat to actually know who the author is! I'm not much of a non-fiction reader but have always been fascinated by the WWII time period. The book sounds very interesting and I would love to check it out. Congratulations on getting published, Carol!
    Ann Kinamon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having read the book twice, I found it to compelling and very informative about a time in history that I wished would have never happened. The book is an eye opener for us that has never had to endure the pain of what can happen when the wrong people can gain control over us and lead us down the wrong road. It makes me realize that our freedoms are not to be taken for granted nor is our responsibilty to be a good citizen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Carol! It is hard to imagine how anyone survived such treatment and to think of the number of families that ended just breaks my heart. I have often wondered how people could have enforced these atrocities and lived with themselves.
    May God bless you for documenting a part of history from such personal accounts.

    Ginger
    Suwanee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful interview. Intriguing book. Please enter me in the drawing. Thank you!

    cherierj(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nora Carol's book sounds like a must read even though the content will be hard to handle as they are
    God's chosen people and have gone through so much down through history.

    Carol Littleton

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a WWII buff and would love to add this new book to my collection. Please enter me.

    desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. FACE BOOK COMMENT
    October 1 at 4:14pm

    This book and interview made me want to read the book. Great interview!!

    Betsy Hoffman Schaknowski

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carol,

    I enjoyed hearing you speak about Defiance in the Face of Hell at Book Club. I'm very happy for you that you have published this book. All the best to you.

    Marlene Rauch

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carol, I definately will be getting your book and since it's not as thick as most of our others, I might be able to read it before 2020. I'm very interested in stuff about the Holocaust.

    Nora, great interview, as usual. Please enter me in the book contest. Tks...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks to everyone for your encouragement on my first book. I wanted to answer your questions about Why the pen name?

    I used my maiden name to honor my father. The poor man had four daughters and no sons. A man who loved to hunt, fish and camp. So what did he do? He taught his daughters all he would have taught his sons. Never once did he get upset when we yell,"Daddy come bait my hook. Daddy come take my fish off. Daddy I want to shoot. Or, Daddy get the grandddaddy long legs out of my tent." He deserved the Medal of Honor with the four of us."

    Carol Basham (Nichols)

    ReplyDelete