BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

BOOK CLUB ENCOUNTERS FEATURING KATHI MACIAS





Kathi Macias BIO: Kathi is a multi-award winning writer who has authored nearly 30 books and ghostwritten several others. A former newspaper columnist and string reporter, Kathi has taught creative and business writing in various venues and has been a guest on many radio and television programs. Kathi is a popular speaker at churches, women’s clubs and retreats, and writers’ conferences, and recently won the prestigious 2008 member of the year award from AWSA (Advanced Writers and Speakers Association) at the annual Golden Scrolls award banquet. Kathi “Easy Writer” Macias lives in Homeland, CA, with her husband, Al, where the two of them spend their free time riding their Harley.

Which do you prefer? Live, on the phone, or the on-line author chat? Why?

I always prefer live anything, but it just isn’t realistic or affordable. I recently did a Skype appearance with a group of ladies in Texas who had just finished reading one of my books (How Can I Run a Tight Ship when I’m Surrounded by Loose Cannons?). It was really fun, and they sent me such a lovely thank-you gift after we chatted over the Skype connection. I’ve made a note to myself that the next time I’m in that area for anything else, I’m going to make time to scoot over there and meet them all in person!

What surprised you most about doing a live book club event?




The first local, live book club event I did was surprising in that I really didn’t expect such a great response! It was a small-town, neighborhood group with about twenty members, and nearly all showed up. They listened attentively, asked informed questions, and nearly all bought one or more books. It was a very positive experience and convinced me to accept more such invitations.

What do you like most about the book club experience?




I like the variety and vast scope of size and possibilities. My first book club experience was with Crossings, when one of my novels was chosen as the monthly alternative, so it was extremely beneficial to my overall sales. But I also learned to appreciate the intimacy of the smaller clubs, where we meet in person, via Skype or phone, or through online chats. The bottom line is that you as an author are making direct contact with people who are already interested in your product. They’re readers, they love books, and they care about what you have to say. Book clubs are the most obviously positive and beneficial venues we authors can ever connect with, regardless of size!

Did you get an unexpected reaction to a book your read? Didn't expect your audience to find something on one of your books or react they way they did?





I was pleasantly surprised to go to a secular book club and find the level of interest in my “spiritual content,” as they phrased it, and a deep respect for the type of books I write. I actually sold more books there than in most Christian venues, and they eagerly invited me back. In fact, out of that group came an invitation to teach at a fairly large secular conference, an invitation I no doubt would never have received had I not spoken at the book club first. It was a very rewarding experience!

Kathi's Newest book is Mother of the Bible Speak to Morthers of Today!! See the Book Trailer.




You can contact Kathy at the following addresses.
Communicating the vision… (Hab.2:2)
alandkathi@ca.rr.com
www.kathimacias.com
http://kathieasywritermacias.blogspot.com/


Thanks Kathi for stopping by and sharing your book club experiences with us. Thanks for sharing about your new books as well. Blessings to you on your writing adventures.

Sincerely,

Nora :D
ACFW Book Club Coordinator

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nora,

    Just stopped by to see if you have seen my new blog design..lol I think it fits my personality, its cool, its fun, its colorful. I had it designed by someone though the cute picture at the top my dad drew for me..hehehe.

    Have a good day,
    Stormi

    ReplyDelete