BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

TOUCHED BY A VAMPIRE - REVIEWED





TOUCHED BY A VAMPIRE
By Beth Felker Jones
Published By: Multunomah
ISBN#978-1-60142-278-1
180 Pages








Back Cover: Examining Twilight through a biblical lens. People around the world are enraptured with Edward and Bella’s forbidden romance in the Twilight Saga, a four-book serial phenomenon written by Stephanie Meyer. But the Saga isn’t just another fantasy—it’s teaching girls about love, sex and purpose. With 48 million copies in print and a succession of upcoming blockbuster films, now is the time to ask the important question: Can vampires teach us about God’s plan for love?

Touched by a Vampire investigates the themes of the Twilight Saga from a Biblical perspective. Some Christian readers have praised moral principles illustrated in the story, such as premarital sexual abstinence, which align with Meyer’s Mormon beliefs. But ultimately, Beth Felker Jones examines whether the story’s redemptive qualities outshine its darkness.

Reviewed: I met Stephanie Meyers at a book signing, so I was interested to read what this book talked about, so I signed up to receive a review copy. I’m glad I did.

This book allowed my daughter and I to really talk about these books in a different light. There is a brief overview of each of the four books in the introduction. I read Twilight and my daughter read all four books. By reading the overviews I could see the bigger picture. It’s a fascinating read.

Some of the topics discussed are Forbidden Fruit: the Allure of Dangerous Romance, Dazzled: How Love Works in the Twilight Saga, Body and Blood: Twilight’s Take on Abstinence and Sex and The Superhero and the Girl Next Door: Gender Roles in Twilight.

There are questions in the back of each chapter that helps you have a group discussion with youths or a one on one discussion with your child. It was great to open up conversation between my daughter and I, it was interesting to see what she thought.

Some of the sample questions are: 1. What are your favorite romance stories?, 2. What makes them so compelling?, 3) Even with no vampires around, how can romance become dangerous in our lives?, etc.

I highly recommend reading this book to help you see the meaning behind these books, to help you understand the intrigue our young people have for these books and why it’s so popular.

Nora St.Laurent
ACFW Book Club Coordinator

1 comment:

  1. I confess, I've not read these books. I might if I had a little more time. From what I hear about Twilight, I'm glad Beth Jones has taken the task of exaiming the truth in the books. But I know they are hugely popular with teenagers. Thanks for the info,Nora.

    ReplyDelete