BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

PATTY LEBLANC - BOOK CLUB LEADER - FEATURED




PATTY LEBLANC'S BIO :Patty is married and has two daughters. Patty loves Christian fiction, and when she’s not reading, interviewing authors, or scrapbooking, she’s riding her Harley Davidson Sportster 883L. She and her husband are actively involved with the Christian Motorcyclists Association. She splits her work day between two jobs. From 4 to 6 AM she does medical transcription; then she works full time as a secretary for a private Christian school.

WOW, Patty, I’m tired just reading your bio. You’re an encouragement. Many can see if you can do it, they can fit reading that month’s book club selection into their lives. You’re a multitasker. I’m impressed.


BEFORE we started with the interview I wanted to share some really fun pictures that Patty sent me. I know you all will be envious of this first one.


(OHMYGOSH Patty--you all must of had a wonderful time with Francine Rivers. I just love her books.)






Here's a picture of a group of my biker friends and another of my girls wearing their T-shirts that says my mom or my dad is a biker and I will be one someday..



(You are a woman of many talents. Wow!! Your own motercycle!! Very cool. Love your girls T-shirts.)

OK, Now for some book club questions not that we've gotten to know the leader a little.

How did the Lord involve you with book clubs? When did you start running one?


I started finding out about friends who liked to read Christian fiction and it seemed the Lord was pulling me towards making it a fellowship opportunity. I started our book club in August 2008.


Had you ever been apart of a book club before you ran one? If yes, Please describe for me what your book club experience was before this one.


I had never been to a book club before so I was kind of clueless about how to run it. The first couple meetings were a learning process, but we all worked it out together and came up with what we do.


Does your book club socialize outside of your regular meetings? If so, what did you do or have you done as a group that you all enjoyed?



One time we got together for a Christmas party and exchanged gifts. Most were books, but other items were also given. Of course, we also ate food because we love to do that.


What is the most creative thing you all have done for book club? What was something that was way over the top for you and everyone loved? Special event, field trip, retreat, something else all together?


One month I arranged for Miralee Ferrell to be at our meeting. We were reading Love Finds You in Last Chance California. It was a fabulous meeting starting off of course with food. Miralee actually stayed over at my house and the next day she did a book signing at our local Borders.

Where does your book club physically meet? Do you have or have you had special book club events? If so, please explain.



We usually meet at my friend Patty's house because she has room for all of us, a beautiful home, and she also cooks a good meal for dinner. We have also met once at borders and once at my church. The meeting at Borders we were waiting for a phone call from Patti Lacy. We ended up moving our meeting to my car so that we wouldn't disrupt people in Borders or feel like we were being too loud. It was kind of comical to have a book club in the car. Afterwards we went back inside Borders and perused the Christian Fiction section.

Have you ever had an author speak at your book club, in person, or on the phone? If so, who? How did the meeting go? Any surprises you learned about the author and/or the book you didn’t know about before the chat?



We talked on the phone with Ann Gabhart about her book, The Insider and also with Patti lacy about An Irishwoman's Tale. The Insider was about Quakers, which we all found very interesting. It was great to be able to ask Ann more in depth questions about them. When talking with Patti Lacy about An Irishwoman's Tale we found out that the book was actually written about a true story and that Patti had met with the main character. One of our book club members changed her opinion about the book when she found that out, so that was quite a surprise to her.

What books have you read recently that sparked a lot of passion and discussion in your group? Why?


The two books that most impacted our group were Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers and Last Light by Terri Blackstock. Both made us think about where we spend our time and how we are using that time to impact the world for Jesus. Last Light incited each of us to start thinking more about how something like what happened in that book could actually happen and we discussed things we might want to do to be prepared for that.


Please describe how the book selection process works for your club? Do you vote with a secret ballet? Or some other method? Do tell. This will be helpful to book club leaders just starting out!!


Since I started the group, I began choosing books by authors I had met on line in an effort to support them. As we got going, other book club members gave suggestions and we all agreed. One month we did vote on selections I had chosen.






QUESTIONS I KNOW YOU WERE JUST WANTED TO ASK PATTY BUT WERE AFRAID TO SO I DID!!

That was the last movie you saw in the theatre? Did you like it and what snacks did you eat if any?

My best friend and I took our kids to see Astro Boy. It was very cute and the kids liked it. We paid for all of us with coupons, and the remaining amounts on the coupon were used to buy the girls pop.

You're in a life threatening situation and you need someone to save you, who would you pick? Why? The sky is the limit. you can pick anyone from books, movie, tv. etc.


Hugh Jackman--He's a hottie. Why not have someone good to look at when you're in danger? It could only make it more bearable, right?

What are 3 of your favorite books of all time?


(1) Lost in NashVegas by Rachel Hauck.
This book motivated me to aactually start writing. It was a dream I had that I never really thought about.




(2) The Winds of Sonoma by Nikki Arana motivated me to learn Spanish and had an impact on how I viewed the Hispanic culture. I even went to Mexico on a mission trip.


\



(3) I just recently read What the Bayou Saw by Patti Lacy.
This book was quite impacting on what I previously knew of our history regarding African Americans. I guess some things I just didn't want to believe existed in our country. Although I knew they did, I never imagined the extent of it.

ANY FINAL COMMENTS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO TELL FUTURE BOOK CLUB LEADERS!! SOME ENCOURAGEMENT, THINGS TO AVOID!! WORDS OF WISDOM???


Be organized and prepared for your agenda. If having an author speak at your meeting either by phone or in person, be prepared with questions ahead of time. Try to share the responsibility of planning if at all possible. Sometimes it can be overwhelming to plan everything. If it is shared, it may not be quite as much to take on. A friend of mine talked about a book club she knew of that planned their whole year out and printed out a list of what book would be read for each month and where they would be meeting, and each member was given a copy so they all knew way ahead of time what books they needed to get to read. That was the next plan to implement in our group.

Thank you Nora for giving me this opportunity to share with you. Best of wishes in all you do. May the Lord bless your efforts.


One more picture I'd like to share. This one is of my husband and myself by Lake Diablo in Washington state on the Cascade Loop when we went on a motorcycle ride. That was before I got my motorcycle so I rode on the back of his.

Thanks Patty for stopping by and letting us get to know you and your group better. Motorcycling looks fun. Thanks for sharing these really fun pictures. I can see you love talking about book club as much as I do!!

Blessings to you and your group in the New Year. 

Sincerely,

Nora :D


4 comments:

  1. Wow, Patty and Nora, what a great interview. Nora, your pages are so lovely and inviting.

    And I'm humbled Lost In Nashvegas inspired you to write, Patty! Praise God!

    Happy New Year.

    Love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora definitely makes a great page in her interviews that just draw a person in and make them want to keep reading. Thank you Rachel for writing Lost in NashVegas. In addition to inspiring me it was also a great book.

    Thanks Nora for the great interview. It was fun and you made it look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty:

    I would love to be interviewed on your blog about my new release, Angela 1: Starting Over, the first in a series of three novels set in a coastal Texas high school. If you're interested, to learn more about the book, please click on my name and follow the link to my website. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nora, I absolutely loved your interview with Patty! I got to "meet" her on ShoutLife maybe 2 years ago, and she is such a sweetheart. :o)

    Christy

    ReplyDelete