BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

MICHAL by JILL EILEEN SMITH - REVIEWED







MICHAL


By Jill Eileen Smith
Published by Revell
ISBN#978-0-80073320-9
382 Pages



Back Cover: The daughter of King Saul, Michal lives a life of privilege-but one that is haunted by her father’s unpredictable moods. She’s in love with her father’s worst enemy—will it cost her everything?

REVIEW: Jill Eileen Smith transported me to the time of King Saul and David. The book starts out in Gibeah, 1023 BC, with a young David facing the challenge and battle with Goliath. The author says this about David, “without a doubt, David knew the Most High had called him to this moment, and nothing anyone could do or say would shake his confidence in the Almighty.”

Even after Saul watches David slay Goliath and promises David his daughter, Michal in marriage, he makes David pay a very high dowry for her, in hopes he would die before the price could be paid. Through the pages of this story and in the bible God used David to turn the people’s focus back to the Lord. It was amazing to read all that David went through in chronological order.

When David has to run for his life he is unable to take Michael with him, it’s too dangerous. I enjoyed the way Jill Eileen Smith described the times, culture and events with so much emotion and insight. This author pens an up-close and personal look of David through Michal’s eyes. Starting with her falling in love with him and all the drama that plays out before and after David becomes King.

Jill says in the author notes that this book was twenty years in the making. Originally she wrote this book about King David. Later on a publisher suggests she writes it from the point of view of Michal. I’m so glad she did write it through Michel’s eyes, it made the book more intimate. Jill Eileen Smith drew me into the story quickly and captured my imagination from the very beginning with the story of David and Goliath—a story I’m familiar with yet I found myself captivated by this tale and her passionate storytelling

There were events in this book that made me go back to scripture to see if what she wrote was true or she just added it to make the story work. I learned several surprising things about Michal and David that I hadn’t known before. I love when that happens because then the facts stay with me. This is the first book in the Wives of David series. I cant’ wait to read the next booking this series called Abigail.

Nora St.Laurent
ACFW Book Club Coordinator

0 comments:

Post a Comment