A MATCH OF WITS TBCN BETHANY HOUSE FEATURED AUTHOR


LAURA FRANTZ UP-CLOSE & PERSONAL New Book LOVE'S AWAKENING


ABOUT AUTHOR: Laura Frantz she is a Christy Award Finalist. Laura was born and raised in Kentucky. She attended college at Denison University in Ohio and also in England, living in a manor/castle and studying the American Revolution from the British perspective. Shakespeare and 18th-century literature form the backbone of her English degree. She is the author of several novels, including The Colonel’s Lady and Love’s Reckoning. She lives in the misty woods of Northwest Washington with her husband and two sons.

What was your favorite scene in Love’s Awakening? Which was the most fun to write?

My very favorite scene is the wedding scene. It’s truly like wedding cake after the hero and heroine take some emotional and life-threatening twists and turns. I enjoyed dressing my heroine up in her mother’s heirloom gown and veil and having an amusing moment during the ceremony itself. Weddings are among my favorite things! I've even created a Pinterest board http://www.pinterest.com/laurafrantz/boards/ called BRIDES and love spending time there.

Here’s who you’ll meet and get to know in my new book Love’s Awakening:


ELLIE, short for the Scottish Elinor, is ladylike and true of her time period (1822). The youngest daughter in the Ballantyne family, she is very different than her older sister, Andra. Ladylike and genteel, she has some funny quirks in that she doesn’t like to get dirty and is especially secretive.

JACK is known as Gentleman Jack around Allegheny County, something of a misnomer as he is anything but! I needed someone rugged and un-genteel, more an outdoorsman, and this photo seemed to fit.

ANSEL is a true gentleman, a musician, and a faithful brother to his sister, Ellie. He is also an abolitionist, helping with the Underground Railroad despite great personal risk. His secret life lands him in a bit of trouble. Well, more than a bit!

CHOLE shuns social custom and makes her own way in the world, often with humorous but calamitous results. I didn’t plan on having Chloe in the book but she came onstage and took over. Her love for Jack changes both her world and his.

Can you tell my of two “Wow” moments you've had in your writing career? What made it wow for you?


The “Wow” moments would be having Love’s Reckoning chosen as a finalist for the Christy Award this year. Since I've always loved Catherine Marshall’s books, especially her novel, Christy, this meant so much. Plus, I received word I was a finalist on my birthday! 

The other “Wow” moment occurs every time I hear from readers, especially when they say a book of mine strikes a chord with them and makes them ponder or walk more closely with Christ.

Nora: Great birthday present Laura! Congrats!

Did you have a say in choosing the cover for this book? How did the process work? What made it a wow for you?

I’m so blessed to have Revell’s inspired art team behind my covers. For the Ballantyne Legacy series Brandon Hill was the photographer and he captured the cover shoot beautifully here – http://brandonhillphotos.com/loves-awakening/ If you click on the link you’ll see the cover that didn't make the cut and then the final one as well as details about the dress and more. I love Ellie’s genteel, ladylike look, so true of her and the time period  in which she lived (1822). Loved, too, how her hair is blowing in the wind and the rural setting.

Nora: Fun! Your book covers have been strikingly beautiful, an eye catcher for sure! Link to this cover shot process http://brandonhillphotos.com/loves-awakening/



What fascinated or inspired you in your research of this book?

This novel is essentially a story about the Underground Railroad and helping fugitive slaves find freedom. I didn't intend for that to emerge as a theme but it fit well with the Ballantyne’s history so I went with it. Lots of historical fireworks occur when you have a secretive and dangerous element like this in a story. I hope readers find it as fascinating to read about as I did researching it.



Can you share your testimony with us?

I was raised in a Christian family and baptized at age 12. But I didn't truly come to know Christ in my heart and not just my head till my 30’s. Interestingly enough, the Lord convicted me through books, biographies of famous historical figures. I view writing as a gift and ministry. It’s a joy to share God’s word through fiction!

Nora: Thanks for sharing your testimony Laura!




FUN QUESTIONS I JUST HAD TO ASK

 What two jobs have you had that would surprise people? Do tell!

My first job was at a very busy Baskin Robbins in Lexington, KY. I scooped lots of ice cream and made lots of sundaes and shakes – and gained a few pounds in the process. I also had a very short marketing career at a bank but was so terrible at it I quit before they could fire me!

If money and time weren't an issue where would you like to go and do?

I would buy a Georgian/18th-century townhouse in Edinburgh, Scotland, furnish it with antiques, and live there half the year – or more!

Out of all the sounds in the world which are your favorite?

My favorite is the sound of the wind. We live in the woods and are surrounded by trees. Often we have storms where the wind rushes through the trees and sounds so mysterious and lovely and powerful. The wind has always reminded me of the Holy Spirit.

There are so many types of weather which is your favorite? Which to you try to avoid?

Since I’m a southern girl I dislike extreme cold. I’ll gladly withstand extreme heat but don’t like to shiver!

We all live busy lives and all of us are in different seasons of life; that as a given what part of your day requires the most patience from you to get through? Causes you to pray the most?

I always thought I had a lot of patience – until I had children! I love mine to death but writing and managing a very active household is a challenge. Being the only female in a household of men has some interesting moments. Prayer and a daily quiet time first thing in the morning settles my spirit and helps me deal with whatever comes up. I couldn’t do it without the Lord’s guidance and grace.

 LAURA, ANY FINAL COMMENTS FOR READERS? 

Just that I’m very thankful for readers taking time out of their busy schedules to be here today and talk books. I wish each of you a very blessed Christmas! I love to hear from readers here is my website http://laurafrantz.net/

Laura

THANKS for stopping by Laura! It's great to know you and your books better. I'm thrilled about the Giveaway Opportunity Revell Publishers has at TBCN Starting December 20th. There will be a 5 book giveaway and discussion. You've come up with three fun questions to ask readers. I'll be interested in that discussion.

Stop by The Book Club Network (TBCN) DECEMBER 20th
Check out the Front page CLICK the Link that will take you to the entry author page. www.bookfun.org 

SEE YOU THERE!!

Nora :o)

ALL ENTRIES ARE MADE AT TBCN NOT ON THIS BLOG POST!! www.bookfun.org 

7 comments:

  1. Nora, Thanks so much for hosting me here and for your great interview questions. I hope you and your loved ones have a very blessed Christmas and New Year!
    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my very Favorite Laura Joy Frantz!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Stacie. Laura thanks for all the great pictures you gave me to include in the interview!

      I hope everyone jumps over to the contest and enters the drawing at TBCN www.bookfun.org

      MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU TOO!! BLESSING TO YOU IN THE NEW YEAR!

      Delete
  3. injoyed reading , would love very much to win
    Shirley B jcisforme@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!! I'd love for your to enter the drawing. You need to go to TBCN www.bookfun.org and answer ONE of Laura's fun questions. You need to JOIN TBCN it's FREE and EASY!! Then scroll down the front page CLICK on Laura's book cover and it will take you to the drawing. LAURA is there engaging readers in the discussion. It's LOTS of FUN to participate and learn more about Laura there too!

      Delete
  4. No need to enter me in the giveaway but I always enjoy reading Laura's interviews when I can. I always learn something new.

    How neat that the Lord drew you in using books about historical figures. I imagine that has something to do with why you write historicals, but I never knew that...how neat! I'm wondering if you have a favorite historical figure who may have been a "book" mentor in your faith?

    Thought you were patient until you had children, ha, I can relate to that one. I'm loving the Lysa TerKeurst study I'm doing right now with a few friends, Am I Messing Up My Kids? Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOOD questions Julia; Thanks for stopping by. You can ask Laura that question at TBCN. She is there in the middle of the discussion about her new book. I'm sure she'd love to answer your question. Thanks again. Merry Christmas to you all! Blessings to you in the new year!

      Delete