BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

MOTHER'S NIGHT OUT by TRICIA GOYER REVIEWED



Mom’s Night Out
By Tricia Goyer
Published by B and H
ISBN#978-1-4336-8482-1
280 Pages

About Book: Moms' Night Out is a novelization of the hilarious family comedy that celebrates real family life—where everything can go wrong and still turn out all right.

All Allyson and her friends want is a peaceful, grown-up evening of dinner and conversation . . . a long-needed moms’ night out. But in order to enjoy high heels, adult conversation and food not served in a bag, they need their husbands to watch the kids for a few hours—what could go wrong?

Chronicling one night out gone awry, three harried moms, their husbands, a sister-in-law with a misplaced baby, a tattoo parlor owner, a motorcycle gang, and a bewildered cabbie all learn to embrace the beautiful mess called parenting. This book spotlights the unfulfilled expectations and serial self-doubts many moms feel . . . then reassures us that the key is raising kids in a loving home. Mom’s Night Out is an endearing, true-to-life comedy.

The MOMS’ NIGHT OUT film features Sarah Drew (Grey’s Anatomy), Sean Astin (THE LORD OF THE RINGS), Patricia Heaton (Everybody Loves Raymond, The Middle), Alex Kendrick (COURAGEOUS), Robert Amaya (COURAGEOUS), Andrea Logan White (REVELATION ROAD), Kevin Downes (COURAGEOUS), and platinum-selling country recording artist Trace Adkins (THE LINCOLN LAWYER)

REVIEW: Thanks to The Book Club Network www.bookfun.org  for a review copy of a book that brought back great memories and made me smile from ear to ear.  I enjoy Tricia Goyer’s books; so when I saw she wrote this novelization I wanted to read it. I knew it would be good but I hadn't realized how much I’d love it. I also had no Idea how much I’d laugh out loud while reading it.

The beginning of the book reminded me of the movie Date Night with Steve Corell and Tina Fay. This busy married couple with busy careers and are in the middle raising small children. They are tired and don’t make time go out much. They finally plan a special night out.  Let’s just say they had a date they’d never forget! These three Moms have a Mother’s Night Out they’d never forget too. Grin!

Allyson looks at her husband Sean and says, “This is my dream (being a mom, staying at home raising them). I’m living it, and I’m not happy…how come I feel like this?”

Sean leaned close to Allyson. He told her only she could answer that question. He said, ”You have to choose to do something for yourself… You have to do it. You’re the only person who can…”
He says it would be good for her to have a night out with her friends, have fun. Unplug – Relax.

Izzy is Allyson’s dear friend who’s just discovered she’s pregnant. She has a set of twins her husband can’t handle now. She can’t imagine telling him the news. She’s in a panic, in denial and can’t wait for this time with the girls.

Sondra is a Pastor’s wife who wears her mask well. “She is the strong one who has to hold it all together at church and at home. She isn't real to anyone including herself. It’s taking a toll on her and her family.”

Funny thing is each of these ladies looks at the other one and thinks they have it all together. They all wonder, “What’s the matter with me?”

Allyson, Izzy, and Sondra agree to have a night of fun. They plan on this for weeks. The night arrives Allyson gets ready and heads to the door. Sean says, “Wow, honey, you look amazing!”

Allyson looks at him, ”Are you sure tonight’s okay? Because I’m starting to feel guilty again.”

“It’s fine. Com’on, yes. You’re gonna have fun. I've got this. I’m not going to call you unless it’s a natural disaster. And then I might not even call you. The house maybe flying…and I’m not even calling you at that point.”

Allyson chuckled, relief flooding her. He cared for her…He really did.”

Allyson gets with her friends and makes an announcement, Ladies, “For one night they weren't going to have to pause their dinner for a potty break. Didn't have to cut someone else’s hot dog into tiny little pieces or refill a sippy cup. They could talk at a normal tone and speak of things other than poo poo and farts. Just the idea of it was a magical thing.”

This book also showed what the Dad’s did while the ladies where having their night out. I don’t know who had more fun the ladies or the guys. Grin!

Sean thinks, “If Sean had learned one thing as a father it was that the best way to handle a house full of kids was to get them out of the house. Staying in the house meant a messy house. Getting out of the house, his kids could mess up some other place and he could walk away. Someone else could pick up pizza crusts off the floor…It was a win, win, win!”

Let the games begin! This was a night everyone would remember. They would become closer, learn more about themselves and each other and relationships. I remember the first time I left my kids with my husband and went to the movies with a friend. I acted a little bit like all of these ladies. That’s what made the book so funny. I saw myself and how I acted. The book also shows how God uses our kids to grow us up! Grin! This author had me in stitches. Being a parent isn’t easy. It’s important to make time to have fun with the girls, with your husband and with your family. There is something to be said about “Unplugging – Relaxing” It gives you a new perspective on things. I loved the message interwoven in the middle of the craziness.

I highly recommend this book for a great book club read and/or just for fun, fun, fun! It’s a must read for any parent no matter the ages of your kids. The movie Mom’s Night Out hits Theaters MAY 9th.

I’m taking my husband out my husband to see this flick. I can’t wait to see this movie! CHECK OUT THE MOVIE TRAILER BELOW! It has a great list of characters! Wow!


Check out the Daily Devotion book. It's subtitled ,"Devotions to help you survive." I'll be reviewing this book soon!







Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.bom
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com 

0 comments:

Post a Comment