BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

MOM'S NIGHT OUT THE MOVIE REVIEWED


MOM’S NIGHT OUT MOVIE

ABOUT THE MOVIE: This is a hilarious family comedy that celebrates real family life—where everything can go wrong and still turn out all right.

All Allyson and her friends want is a peaceful, grown-up evening of dinner and conversation . . . a long-needed moms’ night out. But in order to enjoy high heels, adult conversation and food not served in a bag, they need their husbands to watch the kids for a few hours—what could go wrong?

Chronicling one night out gone awry, three harried moms, their husbands, a sister-in-law with a misplaced baby, a tattoo parlor owner, a motorcycle gang, and a bewildered cabbie all learn to embrace the beautiful mess called parenting. This book spotlights the unfulfilled expectations and serial self-doubts many moms feel . . . then reassures us that the key is raising kids in a loving home. Mom’s Night Out is an endearing, true-to-life comedy. 

REVIEW: My grown kids had asked me what I wanted for Mother’s Day. I said that I really wanted to see the movie Mom’s Night Out. I had read the novelization a few weeks back, written by Tricia Goyer and thought it would be a great movie. I laughed out-loud and got choked up in parts. I wondered if they could pull off the fun and craziness I had read about in the book and put it on the big screen.  I told my kids about the actors that were in this movie. They didn’t seem thrilled. In unison the said, “How about watching the new Spiderman movie or there is this other movie… Mom’s Night out really?”

I told them the movie depicted the joys and struggles of motherhood. It could be a wild ride of family fun. No one looked thrilled to see it. But because I asked them. We went as a family. A mom couldn’t ask for more! I told them of all the cast members (listed below) hoping this would real them in. Nobody changed their expressions. They just gave me polite smiles, saying inside, “Ok, Mom I’m doing this for you because I love you. You can’t change my mind. Just go with it.” So, I did. I knew what lay ahead.  I was excited about my Mom’s Night Out! Grin!

The MOMS’ NIGHT OUT film featured – CAST - Sarah Drew (Grey’s Anatomy), Sean Astin (THE LORD OF THE RINGS), Patricia Heaton (Everybody Loves Raymond, The Middle), Alex Kendrick (COURAGEOUS), Robert Amaya (COURAGEOUS), Andrea Logan White (REVELATION ROAD), Kevin Downes (COURAGEOUS), and platinum-selling country recording artist Trace Adkins (THE LINCOLN LAWYER).

The movie starts out exactly as the book did. Allyson is up early her husband is away on business, she’s feeling stressed and she begins to blog.

“It’s 5a.m. And do you know where your children are? Mine are in bed. I should be in bed. It’s Mother’s Day. But I’m not. Wanna know why? Because I’m a clean freak! ……I can actually feel the house getting dirty. Like I have nerve endings in the carpet. And it affects me.”

As we watched the first few scenes of the move I heard the audience roar and I watched my children on either side of me laughing hard. As I looked at them and watched the movie I remembered being in the thick of raising small children. Those times were precious and overwhelming at the same time. The movie showed that. The Lord brought me through along with girlfriends and prayer.

I looked over at my oldest son who is graduating from high school next week who was actually enjoying the movie. I stared at him as he laughed. I couldn’t believe he had grown up so fast and would be off to college soon. I looked at my daughter who was in the thick of raising a precious 3 ½ year old son with her husband. She laughed but saw this movie in a different way than my son. I saw in her eyes that she was relieved to see other women had gone through the things she had. I saw her getting energized. My 16 year old son laughed even though doing so hurt. He wasn't feeling well but came anyway. I appreciated him doing that stuffy nose and all. I looked at him and thought he was almost a grown man. He would always be my baby! He hates when I say that! But it's true. Grin!

After the movie ended the credits came and we usually stay to read them all. Everyone was relieved when they read in the credits to know nothing happened to the bird named Mama! We roared with laughter even more as we were reminded of the whole bird scene. Hilarious!





SPOILER ALERT: There was a part that touched me in the book but more so in the movie when Bones was talking to Allyson about motherhood.

“I saw something the other day…It was an eagle just caring for its young….It’s a beautiful thing to watch one of God’s creations just doing what it was made to do…Just being an eagle, and that’s enough.” He looked at Allyson.

“Lemme tell you something, girl. I doubt the Good Lord made a mistake giving your kiddos the mama He did. So just be…you. He’ll take care of the rest.”

…hearing this from Bones tugged at her heart even more. He was an unlikely prophet, sent to speak to her at an unlikely time. Only God could do something like that.

Allyson wiped away a tear, sniffling as she did. “That was really…profound, Bones.”

“What? Wha’d I say? Was it good? He straightened in his seat.

…”Where they true, Bone’s words? Was she enough? Had God made her enough just as she was? Was she enough just in being who she was…no matter how well she performed?” (Quotes taken from the Book by the same name written by Tricia Goyer – this scene was in the movie)

I know I struggle to walk in what God has called me to do and not be swayed to perform to the standards of this world. I walked away from this movie and novel encouraged. The message I heard was that being a Mom matters so does balance and being a team with your spouse. Everyone needs a time out and time to unplug, regroup and breathe before going back at it.

It was a wonderful to experience, I could go to the theaters and have a choice at watching this great quality movie with clean fun, laughs and a great message. I LOVED IT! And so did my kids. They were talking about their favorite parts in the car on the way home. Laughing again at what they had seen and heard. Great memories created on this Mother’s Day!

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY EVERYONE!!

Thanks Kids and my honey for BLESSING ME and encouraging me on this special Mother's Day!

Nora St.Laurent

TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org

0 comments:

Post a Comment