BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

CHRIS FABRY CHRISTY AWARD NOMINEE at ICRS




ABOUT AUTHOR: CHRIS FABRY says:  I was born in West Virginia in 1961. I read a lot, but not very fast, and wrote poems, songs, and transcribed Marx Brothers movies and memorized dialogue.

In 1984 I met Jerry Jenkins at Moody Bible Institute. He offered to help me learn to write and I took him up on the offer. In 1998, Jerry and Dr. Tim LaHaye hired me to help write the Left Behind: The Kids series. After that I worked on several other series for children and then published my first adult novel in 2008. It took more than six years to write Dogwood and find a publisher. It received a 2009 Christy Award.

My next novel, June Bug, drew its themes from the classic Victor Hugo tale, Les Miserables. Then, Almost Heaven released and also won a Christy Award, as well as the 2011 Christian Book Award for Fiction.

NORA: I caught up with Chris Fabry on the ICRS floor right before his book signing for Every Waking Moment. It was nominated for a Christy Award in the Contemporary Fiction category. I was thrilled to learn that June Bug was being made into a film. We did this book for book club. It's a powerful read. There is so much to talk about!! I highly recommend it.



CHRIS:  What if this is as good as life gets? Are you okay with that?

This question has haunted me over the past few years. Five years ago we moved to the desert for health reasons. Looking for recovery in a dry and thirsty land. And I realized my soul was more thirsty than anything.

Every Waking Moment is my effort to take some of the pain and loss of life and sift it through the life of a young woman who's been marginalized in society, working among people who are marginalized (the elderly). This character, Treha, has an extraordinary gift that few observe because she's "different."

Like most of my tales, it's a love story, a mystery, part thriller--but mostly a character sketch of lonely people looking for hope. And it's my intent that you find hope and meaning for your own life through Treha's journey.

ABOUT BOOK EVERY WAKING MOMENT: Treha Langsam is a mysterious young woman who has fallen through the cracks, much like many of the elderly people she works with at Desert Gardens Retirement Home. But Miriam Howard, director of the facility, sees her extraordinary gift and untapped potential. Treha is a whisperer of sorts, calling those who have slipped into dementia back to a life of vibrant, if only temporary, clarity.

When Treha’s and Miriam’s stories intertwine with a documentary team looking for stories of the elderly, Treha’s gift is uncovered, and the search begins for answers to the mysteries of her past. As their paths converge, each person is forced to face the same difficult question: What if this is as good as my life gets?

An uplifting, human tale of an ordinary woman with an extraordinary gift.

If you haven't read any of Chris Fabry's books you need to treat yourself. I'd start with June Bug! Thanks for taking the time to talk with me Chris!! Congrats on your nomination!

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins!
www.bookfun.org

0 comments:

Post a Comment