BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

WHAT WOMEN FEAR by Angie Smith REVIEWED


What Women Fear
By Angie Smith
Published by: B & H Publishers
ISBN#: 978-0805464290
224 Pages

ABOUT BOOK: A woman's faith in God is challenged by the first question Satan asks Eve in the Bible: "Did God really say you can’t eat from any tree in the garden?" That seed of doubt and the story it begins to unfold breed a concept of fear still haunting each of us on some level every day-the idea that our actions could ruin something beautiful, and God might not have control of things.

In What Women Fear, acclaimed writer and speaker Angie Smith admits, "fear is a major part of my testimony" and talks openly about her treatment for anxiety as a child. Giving a voice to the problem, she says, "I truly believe every single one of us struggles with some type of fear, whether it's fear of flying or fear of being 'found out.' Maybe you don’t worry about dying, but you get sick thinking about the fact that you might fail."

Rather than suggesting that those who truly love the Lord would never fear, Angie blends her own experiences with those of men and women from throughout Scripture to help us start dealing more effectively with these true, human emotions. Whether it’s a constant "What if?," a nagging fear of abandonment or betrayal, fear of your own or someone else’s death, fear of trusting God's plan, or even the fear that God's existence is a lie, Angie will walk you through stories of others who have simultaneously loved God and struggled with fear. Join Angie and discover how to let Jesus redeem this struggle as only He can, that He will be glorified, and you will be transformed!


REVIEW: I bought this book and then then purchased the audio book when I saw it on sale. I liked having both. I could highlight items in the book I wanted to remember and pray about. The audio book helped me to focus and pray about things on my way to work.

Angie Smith talks about walking in faith that transforms. “When I think back to my childhood, there is so much joy and love. Despite this, there is a haunting feeling of fear I carried with me into adulthood. My parents did everything they could to help me, but to this day fear is a major part of my testimony. I won’t say I feel qualified to tell you I have all the answers, nor will I promise that you will miraculously be cured of your anxiety by the time you reach the end of this book. What I will say is that I hope I am an encouraging companion to you as we go; a sister who understand your pain and the desire to live a life free of it.” Free from the bondage fear can have on a person….. She continues, “I truly believe that every single one of us struggles with some type of fear, whether its fear of flying or fear of being “found out.” Maybe you don’t worry about dying but you get sick thinking about the fact that you might fail.”

“Throughout scripture we have the opportunity to meet some amazing men and women whose stories remind us that we aren’t alone, and that our fears and struggles are not unknown to God…these people from the pages of the bible have become friends to me over the years. I look to them for advice on how other people have death with true, human emotions. Some of them failed miserably. Honestly that kind of takes the pressure off feeling like I might be the first one to simultaneously love God and feel like I’m disappointing him.”

I liked Angie Smith’s transparency and encouragement as she helps readers get to know bible characters and their struggles. She has a way with helping readers apply the scripture principle to everyday life. I liked that.

Each chapter starts with a Bible story example Adam and Eve, Rachel, Jacob and Leah, Abraham, Sarah, Hagar and Ishmael. She convey the story and then tells readers how the passage affected her, then tells how she applied the lesson to her life.

Below are some of the fears this author talks about:

Fear of What if…
Fear of Rejection, Abandonment, and Betrayal
Fear of being found out
Fear of Failure
Fear of Death
Fear of my Past Catching up with me
Fear of Not Being Significant
Fear of God’s Plan for My Life
Fear God Isn't Real

She has a prayer at the end of each chapter as well. Here is one of them.

“May we believe in You and your love for us enough to believe you did not create us to live a life shadowed by the feeling we are inadequate. You long for us to call out in our weakness to those who will take us by the hand, leading us until we find you. Lord, bless us with friends and family who will carve a safe place for our confessions, and will love us in a way that is worthy of you.”

This is a book you’ll read again and again. It caused me to go back to scripture and look at it differently.  You’ll ask God (like I did) to help you see something in there to apply to your situation. This makes a great read and/or a book club pick.

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network Blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com 

0 comments:

Post a Comment