BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

THE BONE HOUSE by STEPHEN LAWHEAD REVIEWED

The Bone House
By Stephen Lawhead
ISBN#978-1-59554-805-4
Published by: Thomas Nelson
385 Pages HB

Back Cover: Kit Livingstone met his great-grandfather Cosimo in a rainy alley in London where he discovered the truth about alternate realities.

Now he’s on the run—and on a quest—trying to understand the impossible mission he inherited from Cosimo: to restore a map that charts the hidden dimensions of the multiverse. Survival depends on staying one step ahead of the savage Burley Men.

The key is the Skin Map—but where it leads and what it means, Kit has no idea. The pieces have been scattered throughout this universe and beyond.

Mina, from her outpost in seventeenth-century Prague, is quickly gaining both the experience and the means to succeed in the quest. Yet so are those with evil intent who, from the shadows, are manipulating great minds of history for their own malign purposes.

Those who know how to use the ley lines have left their own world behind to travel across time and space—down avenues of Egyptian sphinxes, to an Etruscan tufa tomb, into a Bohemian coffee shop, and across a Stone Age landscape where universes collide—in this, the second quest to unlock the mystery of The Bone House.

REVIEW: I purchased the Hard Back copy of this book along with the audio copy. I listened to the audio book to and from work (I have a long commute). When I got home I would read the book. I was hooked from the first book in this series. I adored the narrator of this series. He has a great accent and is very talented and creative in how he did the different voices for each character in the novel. I loved it. I brought this novel to life in a whole new way.

The Skin Map (the first book in this series) introduced me to this imaginative author. The author said this was a book he’s been wanting to write for a long time. In the first book the author sets up the concept of ley-traveling. Readers are introduced to a wide range of quirky characters and a few you are meant to despise. Many of them are in search of the same item, the “skin map.”

Book two, The Bone House’s first page has a list of important people and who they are. I appreciated the list because it has been a while since I’d read the first book. In looking at the list I noticed he added a few new characters making a grand total of 17. I liked how this author takes his time in giving each major character time to shine in their own adventure.

I liked how the author explains the concept of time and how he used it in this series.  Stephen Lawhead says, (in author notes to reader) “Albert Einstein’s observation…”the distinction between past, present, and future is only an illusion,” speaks directly to one of the central devises of The Bone House, as characters struggle with the diverse yet interconnecting realities of a universe unlimited by space and time…

The author continues, “For characters enmeshed in the Bright Empires quest are not time-traveling explorers – but merely running backwards and forwards along chronological train tracks, confined to rails permanently fixed in a singular direction. Rather Kit and company are bouncing around a multidimensional universe in the equivalent of a helicopter that can travel in any of a thousand different directions. And if hypothetical helicopter is a vehicle that can also zoom off into hidden dimensions and lands in any possible alternate would – with a dose of time slippage thrown in for good measure – then we have the situation I am trying to describe in Bright Empires.

The Skin Map stretched my mind to take in the concept of ley-travel. In The Bone House, the author helps readers understand more about time and how ley-travel works. This is done thru Wilhelmina a girl I admire and liked.The author does an brilliant job of setting up a world Kit goes to which blew me away as to the authors creativity and talent.

I was stunned at how this author connected the characters and their adventures. I hadn't a clue at how amazing this author was. There was more suspense and drama in this story. Loved that. I didn't rush through this book I wanted to be sure I didn't miss anything and it helped me keep characters and travels straight. I was as memorized as Kit was at the new primitive people he stumbled onto. They take him in and teach him a new language. He fits in! The author doesn't complicate things but keeps it simple with the language and village people. I felt as if I were with Kit on this journey. The author does a brilliant job of describing the sights, sounds, and smells of this new world, along with the wide range of emotions that ran through Kits body. Fun.

I was engaged from the start and caught up in this search for the map. This author is a well-educated, creative man with diversified interests. He writes imaginative fiction I adore. This is a GREAT book club pick and just a fantastic read I highly recommend.

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment