BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

THIS SCARLET CORD by JOAN WOLF REVIEWED


THIS SCARLET CORD
By Joan Wolf
Oasis Audio – Read by Brooke Sanford Heldman
PDF included on Disc.

Back Cover: Within one of the Old Testament’s most famous battles lies one of the most tender love stories.

Hidden within the battle of Jericho is the story of Rahab, a beautiful and brave young Canaanite woman who aided the Israelites by hanging a piece of scarlet cord from a window. This act of faith changed her life by placing her in the genealogy of Christ.

Rahab is the youngest daughter of a Canaanite farmer, taken to Jericho for the pagan New Year so her father can find her a wealthy spouse. Sala, the Israelite boy who had once saved her from being kidnapped, is also in Jericho. When the two young people meet again they admit their love for one another, but their different religions make marriage impossible.

Their love story plays out against the background of Jericho’s pagan rites. It is only when the One True God of Israel comes into Rahab’s life—and she realizes what He is calling her to do—that she and Sala can come together.

Witness Rahab as a young woman determined to find her destiny as she follows her heart toward true love . . . and the One True God.

REVIEW: I purchased the audio version of this book to make the drive to and from work more enjoyable. I hadn't read anything by this author before. I looked forward to learning more about Rahab. This story was brought to life and made me feel as if I had been thrust onto the City streets of Jericho. I felt as if I were mingling in amongest the crowds watching Rahab and her family.

I liked the way Brooke Heldman read the book and how she captured the lively spirit of Rahab. She did a good job of creating different voices for the many characters in the novel.

I liked how the story was centered around - a sweet and tender love story that almost wasn't. Rahab and Sala come from opposite ends of the world and worship two different Gods. Neither were willing to give up the God’s that they were raised to worship. When Sala talks about his God freeing the Israelites from Egypt and parting the red sea to aid their escape; Rehab soaks it all in. She’d never heard of such a thing.

I liked how the author allowed me to imagine what people of the bible times might have thought, and felt as the drama of the battle of Jericho started to play out inside the city walls. This story is well written and I had fun listening to it visualizing the events taking place.

The only thing I struggled with was the fact that nowhere in scripture does it state that Rahab was a virgin. (None that I could find) There were several places where Rahab’s referred to as a harlot. One of the beautiful examples of scripture is of God redeeming people who have colorful pasts. Rahab’s testomy is one of forgiveness and redemption. The key point in this story for me is the fact that God redeems our past no matter where we’ve come from. He forgives it all!

When I read a story based on the bible I look for an author that sticks very close to the biblical story as they can. If they’ve deviated from the story I like the author to tell me that up front. Right in the beginning I liked to read something like…. “I made this up to fit the story. In my research I didn’t find evidence to back this up but it made the story flow better.” Now I can head into the story forewarned.

This Scarlet Thread wandered too far from the main point of the story. It made me feel uncomfortable. Joan Wolf is a good writer and the story was compelling but the reader was robbed of the powerful message of redemption and forgiveness. God forgave an ordinary - unworthy harlot, brought her into his loving arms, she found salvation, He saved her family, found her a husband and put her in the lineage of Jesus. Bam! Now that’s powerful!

Nora St Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com
The Book Club Network Blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment