BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

BREATHING ROOM by LEEANA TANKERSLEY REVIEWED

BREATHING ROOM
By Leeana Tankersley
Published by Revell
ISBN#978-0-8007-2346-0
277 Pages

Back Cover: Leeana Tankersley, like so many of us, began to feel overwhelmed by life. And like so many of us, she assumed she was struggling not because life is inherently difficult but because she was personally failing in some way. She knows firsthand what it is to bully yourself, to put yourself down for not being able to keep it all together, to compare yourself to others and find yourself lacking. But she's also discovered that all of the hurt and hostility and pain only add up to a life of holding your breath. What if we could exhale and let go?

Breathing Room is her beautiful release of self-condemnation, her discovery of the rest that comes when we give ourselves some space to breathe. She draws readers in through shared experiences of perfectionism, jealousy, and striving and shows them how to let go, how to be radically on their own team, and how to experience the broad grace that Christ has offered all of us.

Anyone who has been trying to do it all, who has been putting on a strong front and yet secretly struggling, will find in Breathing Room both a trusted friend and a generous Savior.

REVIEW: I’m thankful for the review copy of a book that introduced me to Leeana Tankersky who is transparent, real, and gives practical ways for us to address the things that have us bound, and breathless. She says, “Breathing room was available when and only when – “I faced the very thing I didn’t want to face…I could no longer dismiss or override what I was feeling…I wasn’t doing well. This was a personal abandonment, a betrayal. We know it’s not ok to bully other people, but somehow we forgot – or never learned that it’s not ok to bully ourselves.”

Wow, so true. Between the media telling us how we should look and feel, our peer group telling us how to act and feel; it was refreshing to hear of this authors personal journey into walking out what God says we are and looking to how He sees us. It’s powerful, and moving. I liked how this author bears her soul and reveals how she reached the point to where she was willing to do anything to be free! It wasn’t easy. But with Gods help all things are possible.

She tells readers how to listen to the voice of God and how to scatter the voice of the enemy of our soul. She says, “The toxic voice is the dark voice of scarcity, while God’s voice is the voice of abundance. The toxic voices tell us there will never been enough. There is only so much talent and achievement in the universe, so we must prove ourselves worthy of a portion constantly. …The brain vultures are just waiting for a trigger moment. You know, a moment that confirms all our suspicions about ourselves. That we are never, and I mean ever, going to get our fit right. That we are never going to be happy. That if we were one of the prettier people, we would be able to do life so much better. That our struggle is an indication of a deficiency. That we can’t keep up. That we’re destined for the bench while everyone else is enjoying the game.”

I was so encouraged by this author. Loved how she helped identify self-talk that is destructive to our soul and well being. It feels strange to give ourselves a pep talk and speak the truth to ourselves at first but I have been so encouraged by her letter at the end; truths she spoke over herself; I can now see how the truth sets the captives free. She says, “One of the common methods for making amends is writing the offended party a letter. I decided, as a gesture of grace and acceptance, to write a letter of amends to myself.” She starts the letter liked this “Dear Leeana; I want to do things differently. This letter is my way of saying I’m sorry for being so hard on you, for simply assuming everyone else knew better….(she says a lot and further says)"

"I’m sorry I didn’t listen to you. I’m listening now. Today is a new day. Today, I want more…….I want you to dance, for God’s sake. Wild and Free. I want you to give without the fear of losing……..I want you to stop running and breathe. I want you to believe……..I believe in you. Your ability to heal and become. I believe in your ability to hold on to what matters and let go of what doesn’t. I believe you will survive even if it’s not all perfect.”

She continues likes this until the end. I found myself teary eyed as I read. I realized that the Lord believes these things about me too! I prayed Oh, God help my unbelief. Help me to accept and believe these things you know about me I find hard to believe. It’s encouraging and healing to my soul to know the Lord loves me and thinks the best about me! I highly recommend this book; it’s a must read for everyone.

Nora St Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment