BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

PRICE OF PRIVILEGE by JESSICA DOTTA REVIEWED

Price of Privilege
By Jessica Dotta
Published by Tyndale
ISBN#978-1- 4143-7557-1
492 Pages

Back Cover: Having finally discovered the truth of her birthright, Julia Elliston is determined to outwit Chance Macy at his own game. Holding a secret he’d kill to keep, however, is proving more difficult than she imagined.

Just when Julia thinks she’s managed to untangle herself from Macy’s clutches, he changes tactics with a risky ploy. As the scandal of the century breaks loose, drawing rooms all over London whisper what so far newspapers have not dared to print: Macy’s lost bride is none other than Lord Pierson’s daughter—and one of the most controversial cases of marital law ever seen comes before Victorian courts.

Though Julia knows Macy’s version of events is another masterful manipulation, public opinion is swaying in his favor. Caught in a web of deceit and lies, armed only with a fledgling faith, Julia must face her fiercest trial yet.

REVIEW: I’m thrilled to receive a review copy from an author I adore. It’s the third book in the Price of Privilege series; that just blew me away! After reading the last book in the series, Mark of Distinctioncouldn't imagine where this author would take me next. Things seemed to have ended. But in this third and final book in the series, this author shows how maddening things can get when Chancy Macy stirs things up and is set on getting Julia back as his wife.This author created a realistic and believable world as the wealthy try to outsmart each other for power and revenge.

This story opens similar to the Titanic movie where the director starts out with an old woman speaking about her time on the ship.  This author does the same. She starts out with Julia reminiscing about the early days of her marriage to Edward. Soon I was whisked into the merriment of Henry and Elizabeth’s wedding preparations and celebration. I was reunited with characters I grew to love in books one and two. I felt at home in this Victorian Era and was quickly wrapped up with these complex, authentic characters whom I've grown very fond of and settled in to enjoy this special day. Two of these characters I adored in this story were Jameson and Nancy. It was a great back drop to all the mystery, tension and suspense.

It was great fun to witness Edward and Julia’s love grow and the playfulness begin. I loved that the author let readers enjoy tender moments with them before they headed into the war being waged against them. I liked how this author doesn't write what you’d expect. She masterfully spins a remarkable and believable story that take you emotionally high, low and everywhere in between.
Julia describes, “…I titled up toward his kiss, but just before our lips met, I shrieked with laughter and yanked the blanket hard, then rolled over and cocooned myself in wool.

Edward roared with laughter, “Why you little-“ The straw in the mattress shifted as he pinned me between his knees and searched for a seam.  “That’s it. As your husband, I’m taking full charge of the blanket and its distribution…I gave a squeal, prepared to defend my sole right to the bed clothes.” 

Edward! Stop! Don’t you dare! It’s positively freezing!”

“Trust me I know.” He continued to unwrap me, as I in turn struggled to make it more difficult. “I’m beginning to suspect.” He cried, “that you, Mrs. Edward Auburn, are a cover thief! And there’s only one proper punishment for thieves.”

I could scarily breathe from laughing…”And what…is that?” (You’ll have to read the book for the answer)

As much fun as I experienced reading about tender moments with Julia, my heart ached as much or more for the dilemma they faced. Macy pulls out all the stops to get his wife back. This is a grand adventure I’m thrilled to have gone on.  This author does a masterful job of filling in the gaps left in books one and two. This story brings about so much understanding and clarity of situations past and present.  I was lost in this Victorian Ear with all the drama swirling around Julia, Edward, Isaac and Lord Pierson as Macy seeks to devour anyone in his way in obtaining his prize.

This author had me stop breathing a time or two with the many plot twists and turns that tugged at my heart and blew me away. My throat tightened with the drama unfolding I as I was just as surprised as the characters at all that transpired. This book has a most satisfying and startling conclusion to a masterfully written story and had characters that will live on in my heart. This would make a great mini-series and/or epic film like Gone with the Wind. This is going on my Best pick list for this year. This book is excellent for a book club pick. It’s definitely a book you must read in 2015. You must!

Nora St Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network www.psalm516.blogspot.com

Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment