BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

SUPERMARKET HEALTHY by MELISSA D'ARABIAN REVIEWED

Supermarket Healthy
By Melissa D’Arabian
Published by Clarkson Potter
ISBN#978-0-307-98517-0
288 Pages

Back Cover: Food Network star and New York Times bestselling author Melissa d'Arabian proves that healthy eating at home is easy, achievable, and affordable.

Everyone wants to feel good about what they are eating, serving guests, and feeding their families, but most of us don't do our weekly shopping at pricey specialty stores-- we do it at the local supermarket and we don't want it to break the bank. In her second book, Melissa demystifies the task of preparing nutritious and delicious food by showing exactly how you can make your grocery store work for you. She offers helpful strategies for shopping, cooking, and entertaining, as well as meal blueprints and nutritional information throughout. This book will make you confident about the food you're buying, preparing, and eating. Delicious recipes like Almond Waffles with Raspberry-Basil Sauce, Kale and White Bean Caesar Salad in a Jar, Slow-Roasted Tomato Spaghettini, Flatiron Steaks with Quick Cauliflower Kimchi, and Flourless Fudgy Dream Cookies have something for every type of eater at every meal of the day. No matter your favorite flavors or dietary needs, cooking on a budget is empowering-- and now you can learn how to make every bite count. If cooking at home is the key to healthy living, Supermarket Healthy is the only tool you'll need.

Review: I’m thankful for the review copy of a book that is health conscious; has simple instructions, easy recipes to make, with ingredients that are easy to find, affordable and taste good.  This author shows readers how to eat healthy at home and has tips on how to get your kids to try new flavors. I tried the kale breakfast salad, peach Dutch baby pancake and Cinnamon-oatmeal pancakes…they were easy to make and my family and I liked them.
Kale for Breakfast

The author states this book is about, “Eating well based on using your everyday Supermarket to make cost-conscious and consciously minded buying decisions.”

I’ve seen this authors the show $10.00 dollar dinners and liked how she cooked and make meals I wanted to try. I liked when she said in her book, “budget living is about spending with purpose and intent and being mindful about how you spend your dollars. Healthful eating is about eating with purpose and intent and being mindful about how you choose the ingredients…there are more than 125 recipes you can feel good about cooking and eating….I want to cook within my budget. While still feeling good about the food I buy, eat, and prepare for my family friends…these dishes are as friendly to your waistline as they are to your wallet…when you eat better, you feel better.”

I agree with Melissa. I liked her game plan to making these statements happen in my life and she has given readers the tools to do just that. Melissa has three strategies. First is the Supermarket Strategy  – Buying tips, ways to save and insights about making choices in the store. Second has to do with your kitchen. Time-saving tips, making ahead advise, and at home swaps so you don’t have to run out to the store for one thing. Then finally entertaining – easy spins on dishes to make party-friendly. She also has a page on Pantry must have’s. I found all this information very helpful.

I liked that each recipe had at the top the servicing size, time it takes to prepare and cook. It helps if you have to make something and don’t have a lot of time. It helps me focus on what I have time to cook.

She discusses some hot-button issues like organic – Gmo’s, Allergies, Sensitivities, buying local etc. I liked leaving more about these issues. Then there are the Blue Print sections throughout the book. They are set up to help you be creative, switch out ingredients or vary a method ever so slightly and you have a brand-new recipe. I liked the help in being creative.

The table of contents and it’s categories are: Breakfast, Snacks, Soups and stews, Salad, Wraps and Sandwiches, Veggies Mains, Pasta, Fish and Seafood, Chicken and Turkey, Beef, Pork, Lamb, Sides, and Desserts.

I like that they included the nutritional information for each recipe along with a few full color pictures in each section. I look forward to making more yummy recipes from this book. The ones I made were flavorful, with easy to follow instructions. I liked the assortment in each section. I think you will too!

Nora St Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com

Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment