BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

THE CHOOSING by RACHELLE DEKKER REVIEWED


The Choosing
By Rachelle Dekker
Published by Tyndale
ISBN#978-1-4967-0225-7
344 Pages

Back Cover: Like all citizens since the Ruining, Carrington Hale knows the importance of this day. But she never expected the moment she’d spent a lifetime preparing for—her Choosing ceremony—to end in disaster. Ripped from her family, she’ll spend her days serving as a Lint, the lowest level of society. She knows it’s her duty to follow the true way of the Authority.

But as Carrington begins this nightmare, rumors of rebellion rattle her beliefs. Though the whispers contradict everything she’s been told, they resonate deep within.

Then Carrington is offered an unprecedented chance at the life she’s always dreamed of, yet she can’t shake the feeling that it may be an illusion. With a killer targeting Lints and corruption threatening the highest levels of the Authority, Carrington must uncover the truth before it destroys her.

REVIEW: I’m thankful for the review copy of this book and surprised at how this story affected me.  I was caught off guard as the Lord used the power of storytelling to gently tug at my heartstrings and allowed me to hear this message that touched my soul. This book had me up until 3 a.m. reading through tears, throat tight and shoulders shaking. It was a riveting read.

I don’t normally read dystopia type stories but this one caught my eye; first by the intriguing cover and then by the authors name. Rachelle Dekker who is the daughter of N.Y best-selling author Ted Dekker. Ted Dekker’s books introduced me to Christian Fiction. They were the first books that rocked my world. I had no idea a novel could affect me and encourage my spirit the way his books did.

I instantly connected with main character Carrington Hale and was swept into this story by the first lines of this novel, “Carrington felt as though she’d collided with a moving train…She should run. Maybe she could get away before they came for her. But how many girls had successfully escaped from the Authority? None…How could things have gone so wrong? This was not supposed to happen to her”

All this reinforced her inner belief that she had no purpose, she was nothing and frankly she just wasn’t enough to be chosen. She did all the right things, followed all the rules and tried her hardest. Where did she go wrong? Where would she go from here?

I’ve felt like Carrington and understood how she could beat herself up over and over for not being enough; accepting labels from others; society and a few she imposed onto herself.

Carrington is encouraged by a few to look beyond the boundaries of this dark world to the freedom that awaited her. Carrington warns Arianna; a daughter of an Authority member that thinking this way is dangerous. She needed to start thinking about the laws of the land, especially since her father was the president of the Authority council; much was at stake.

Arianna replies, “There is freedom in letting go of labels we were never meant to wear…This is all a game, Carrington. Don’t you see how trapped in lies they have you? Do you honestly believe that this is the life you were created to live? That your choices are invalid or that your worth is measurable?...Listen to the part of you that you’ve worked so hard to silence. I know you hear His voice….”

This author brilliantly drives home a few core fundamentals of faith that hit my heart hard. She wonderfully demonstrates Gods agape love and the freedom that awaits us – ALL are gifts for us to take; no strings attached. It made me realize I’d taken a few of these gifts for granted and/or gave some back not realizing it. I could see clearly through Carrington’s character that The Father had more for me if I was willing to face my fears, take His hand and go on an incredible journey. I wouldn’t be sorry and it would be far more than I could ever imagine. But it’s hard taking that first step.

Warning to the faint of heart there are a few intense, gory scenes in this novel that kind of reminded me of the ones tucked into the movie DaVanci Code. The ones where the priest does self-inflicted torture for his sins. I found those parts difficult to read but they did show a depth of a scary, sick side to a twisted character in this story that you might not have otherwise grasped. It all adds to the nail biting suspense as the plot thickens.

This is an amazing debut novel full of heart, drama, and complex believable characters I instantly cared for, with a detailed plot, and gripping truths that pierced my heart. It caused me to examine myself and had me stop to pay attention to the voice Carrington told herself to mussel. This novel is a journey that will touch the core of your being if you let it.

There is so much to this rich, heart pounding suspense story, with its twists, turns and surprises that kept things lively and entertaining all the way through. This is a novel I highly recommend to book clubs; there is so much to talk about. Put this on your must reads for 2015. This author is one to watch!

Nora St Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org   
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com  
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com

2 comments:

  1. Nora thanks for your review. I can't wait until May 19th, 2015 when others can experience what you just did while reading The Choosing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to the release date too. I'm THRILLED that Rachelle Dekker will be on the front cover of BOOK FUN MAGAZINE www.bookfunmagazine.com the JUNE Issue. I look forward to sharing her interview and journey with everyone! Yes, this is a powerful book.

      Delete