BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

WAR ROOM by CHRIS FABRY REVIEWED - Hits Theaters AUGUST 28th

War Room
By Chris Fabry
Published by Tyndale
ISBN#978-1-4964-0729-0
382Pages

Back Cover: Juggling motherhood and her job as a real-estate agent, Elizabeth Jordan wishes her husband could help more around the house. But Tony’s rising career as a pharmaceutical salesman demands more and more of his time. With a nice home in the suburbs and a lovely young daughter, they appear to have it all—yet they can’t seem to spend time together without fighting.

Hoping for a new listing, Elizabeth visits the home of Clara Williams, an elderly widow, and is both amused and uncomfortable when Clara starts asking pointed questions about her marriage and faith. But it’s Clara’s secret prayer room, with its walls covered in requests and answers, that has Elizabeth most intrigued . . . even if she’s not ready to take Clara’s suggestion that she create a prayer room of her own. As tensions at home escalate, though, Elizabeth begins to realize that her family is worth fighting for, and she can’t win this battle on her own. Stepping out in blind faith, putting her prayers for her family and their future in God’s hands, might be her only chance at regaining the life she was meant for.

Review: Can’t wait to see the next film by Alex and Stephen Kendrick. They co-wrote and produced Flywheel, Fireproof, Courageous, Facing the Giants and now War Room. I’m thankful for the review copy of a book that gives me a peek into the subject matter tackled in the story. I was thrilled to see Priscilla Shire playing Elizabeth; the leading lady in the film.

Elizabeth Jordan is a real-estate agent who gets more than she bargains for when she meets up with Miss Clara to discuss selling her home. Miss Clara starts asking personal questions like, does she go to church, what her husband does for a living. Does she believe in God? …”Elizabeth felt confused. Was this a counseling session or were they trying to sell the woman’s house? But she smiled and put on a good face. “Yes, I would say I know the Lord.”…Do you think the Lord is okay with this asking price?”

Miss Clara gives Elizabeth a tour of the house and shows her the prayer closet. She says, “Now this is where I do my fighting.”

“A closet.” Elizabeth said.

“I call it my war room…A prayer strategy…I used to do what you and your husband are doing (fighting) but it got me nowhere. Then I started really studying what the scriptures say, and God showed me that it wasn’t my job to do the heavy lifting. No that was something that only He could do. It was my job to seek Him, to trust Him and to stand on His word!....Elizabeth if you’ll give me one hour a week, I can teach you how to fight the right way, with the right weapons.”

Elizabeth likes Miss Clara. It couldn’t hurt. Her marriage was in trouble and she was tired of doing the same thing and getting nowhere. Little did she know how God would use that time together; to change her life.



This is a great dialogue about prayer. What is prayer? Why Pray? Does Prayer really matter when God knows all? This is a powerful message, talking about serious topics that affect all of us. This book is filled with truth, encouragement, talks about hard topics, and helps readers on the how too’s of setting up a War room of their own. I loved the well timed humor sprinkled throughout this novelization too.

The Kendrick brothers show Elizabeth and Tony’s challenge in life and with each other. Questions are brought up about Prayer, Grace and Freedom. Miss Clara asks, “Elizabeth, there’s not room for both you and God on the throne of your heart. It’s either Him or you. You need to step down. Now, if you want victory, you’re gonna have to first surrender.”

I highly recommend this powerful challenging read to enjoy yourself, pass on to a friend, and one that would be great for book club.  The movie hits theaters nationwide August 28th.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complementary copy of this book from the Publisher I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”.

Nora St Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment