BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

A WINDOW'S JOURNEY by GAYLE ROPER REVIEWED


A Widow’s Journey
Reflections on Walking Alone
By Gayle Roper
Published by Harvest House Publishers
ISBN# 978-0-7369-5958-2
142 Pages

Back Cover: Have you recently lost your husband? Are there days when you feel so terribly alone--and that no one else could possibly understand?

Author Gayle Roper understands. As a recent widow herself, Gayle writes:
So who am I now that there's only one place at the table...one pillow with a head dent, one damp towel after a shower. There's only one toothbrush in the holder. The seat is never left up anymore.

I can still write Mrs. in front of my name, but I'm no longer in a marriage relationship. You need two people for a marriage and there's only me.

Is there only you? Then join Gayle as she draws on her emotions during the loss of her beloved husband, Chuck, and offers you a compassionate devotional to encourage you through your darkest days. Gayle knows a widow's pain is deep. But she also knows God's love is deeper still. And it's in His love you'll find your deepest comfort.

REVIEW: This author gives readers an intimate look at the grieving process and her journey to wholeness. She takes readers with her as she learns to live life without her husband of almost 50 years. She says, “It’s the aimlessness that I find most difficult. I like purpose and plan. I don’t mind if the plan goes awry. I’m willing to adapt. Life is one long lesson in adapting.”…And being a widow is the biggest lesson of all, a lesson forced on me by circumstances I didn’t plan and would never choose. And I don’t want to adapt. I want life back as it was…I know that my life can still have value, that I can still do and be – when I can figure out what to do and who to be…”…”Life moves on whether we’re ready or not.”

Gayle ran into a ninety year old friend that told her something she had learned in her journey, “I’ve decided I’ll never be happy the same way again, but I have learned to be content.”

Gayle realizes that grief has to run its course, bills need to be paid and decisions need to be made.: ,,,”Certainly life still has good moments, the sun still shines, and we find things to laugh at…But under it all is that ache like the pain of a phantom limb.”

I appreciate Gayle sharing this journey. I know that it will give me an insight into dealing with someone who has lost a loved one. Instead of avoiding the person because I don’t know what to do or say; this author has talked about the changes in her life and what that felt like. This will help to be there for someone else.

I appreciated her insight into her life instantly changing from a couple to a single.  It’s a process to go through to establish a “new” normal. She shares things I didn’t think about.

This book is helpful for those who are grieving and for the friends and family members of the one in the grieving process. This is a heart-felt short helpful read.

I liked the note from Gayle in the back of the book, she says, “4 years out – time is the framework that allows us to see change. “…”I hope you were able to say, “Yes! That’s exactly how I feel. I’m not crazy, and I’m not alone!”

“Know you are special to me and I pray for you even though I may not know your name.” Colossians 1:9-10.

I highly recommend this book for people in the grieving process and for loved ones trying to understand what they are dealing with as their life has changed and will continue to change! I had the privilege of meeting this author the ICRS conference in Orlando Florida and watching her win an award for this book. I was honored to be at the conference.

Disclosure of Material Connection: #AD Sponsor
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com

Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment