BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

BRODO: BONE BROTH by MARCO CANORA REVIEWED


Brodo: A Bone Broth
By Marco Canora
Published By Pam Krauss Books
ISBN#978-0-553-45950-0
160 Pages HB

Back Cover: No one has been more responsible for the recent explosion of interest in bone than New York City chef Marco Canora.  After completely revitalizing his health by integrating bone broth into his diet, Marco began to make his nourishing broths available by the cupful to New Yorkers from a small window in his East Village restaurant, drawing sell-out crowds virtually from the beginning. It’s no longer just a building block for soups and sauces, bone broths are now being embraced for their innumerable health benefits, from cultivating a healthier gut to greater resistance to colds and other illnesses. In Brodo, Marco shares the recipes for his flavorful, nutritious broths and shows how to serve them year round as well as incorporate them into recipes and as a daily health practice.  Perfect for stirring into a broth bowl or a pot of risotto, as a gentler, supportive alternative to the afternoon caffeine fix, and an immunity and health booster any time, the homey bone broths in Brodo should be a part of every well-stocked pantry.

REVIEW: I was excited to see this bone broth cookbook. Even more thrilled at how these broth tasted. Oh, Wow! I was first introduced to this Chef and read about his journey into wellness after his health wake up-call 5 years ago; in his cookbook titled A Good Food Day. I too experienced amazing healing in my stomach through just drinking bone broth. The bone broth I made last year didn’t even compare to the broth in this book. My husband and I made Hearth broth and the grass-fed beef broth. They are rich with flavor, comforting, taste amazing and satisfy.

I like how Marco talks about the nutritional benefits and healing abilities of bone broth for the gut, joints, as well as skin and immunity. He found it gave him more energy and a zest for life. He was busting to share this with his customers. He’s had a restaurant for years that had the ability to serve customers through a window that faced the street. He opened Brodo in Nov. 2014. He focused on three signature broths: chicken, beef and Hearth broth (which is a beef, chicken and turkey broth).

The chef says, “In this book I share all of the basics: where to buy bones, what kind to look for, the tools I recommend and the key techniques to use to develop flavor and get the most bang for your buck of every batch…I’ll show you how putting just an hour or two of active cooking times a week make bone broths a part of your everyday diet…..I’ve also included a look at why it’s considered the world’s first comfort food. I explore the medicinal effects of drinking broth and dig into all the ways that bone broth is a functional food.” The author goes on to say, “Bone broth is filling, hydrating, and incredibly restorative in a way that caffeinated drinks can’t match.”

He discusses the major components and healing benefits of bone broth. He says, “We’ve a history of being fed misinformation as far as what to eat for better health. I prefer to educate myself as best I can and experiment to find out what works for me.”

I have found the same to be true with me. I was in so much pain with my stomach last year I was willing to try anything. I was astounded by how well bone broth worked. I stopped drinking it but this Chef has incorporated bone broth in his daily diet. Instead of reaching for the mid-afternoon coffee he reaches for bone broth to fully recharge his energy level.

I loved the variety of broths in this book: Roasted Lamb broth, Duck broth, Veal broth, Smoky port broth, End of the month Broth, Fish broth, Clam broth, Mushroom broth, Vegetable broth just to name a few. You can look for these items to go on sale and/or start out with Chicken and beef broth. One thing that surprised me was the chapter on Broth Add-ins. It kind of reminded me of Star Bucks in that you can ADD any item to your coffee to create the flavor you desire. The Chef does the same in this chapter. I found it helps me think about broth in a whole new light. The add-ins can be Infused Coconut Milk, Fresh Turmeric, Roasted Garlic Puree and he lists more.

This author’s last chapter is on Risotto. He says, “Brodo bowls are simple soups that combine the goodness of long-cooked broth with fresh vegetables, whole grains, powerful add-ins, and, in some cases meat.”

I’m looking forward to trying the other broths in this book. Because these broths taste wonderful I might be able to do like this Chef has done – incorporate them in my everyday life not just at the start of a New Year!!


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Blogging for Books site. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com 

0 comments:

Post a Comment