BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

I CAN by KATHYN O'BRIEN REVIEWED


I CAN
By Kathyn O’Brien
Illustrated by Gillian Flint
Published by Tyndale Kids
ISBN# 978-1-4961-1117-4
29 full color pages

Back Cover: With a repetitive, rhythmic introduction of Philippians 4:13 (“I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength”), I Can turns Bible memorization from a duty to a delight for children, using the author’s unique teaching strategy. This purposeful presentation of Scripture will help children memorize, understand, and absorb passages as the author presents this powerful verse one word at a time, teaching the meaning of each individual word before presenting the entire passage. I Can builds a meaningful connection between God’s Word and a child’s life experiences, laying a foundation for a love and comprehension of Scripture. Parents and children will enjoy interacting together over the passage.

REVIEW: Philippians 4:13 is illustrated and explained so kids of all ages can learn how scripture can come alive and be applied to our daily lives.

The author says in a note to parents, “As believers, we are called to know God’s word – to hide it and hold it in our hearts. What a wonderful opportunity and an awesome responsibility we have to share his word. His life changing promises, and impart His powerful truths to our children. My prayers is that God uses the book to help children learn, understand, and indeed hold God’s word in their little hearts for a lifetime.”

I love how this author takes each word in the verse and helps kids understand the meaning of the word and how to apply the verse to their lives.

The book starts out, “I can.. jump, laugh, run, play etc. The author lists several things kids can think to do.

Then the author adds the next word in the verse, “I can do…” The author lists things kids can do like math, puzzles, and cartwheels etc. – “So many things to do.”

Another word is introduced, I Can Do “Everything” She explains that nothing is too big or too scary.

Then the next word in the verse is displayed, “through Christ.”  This is a name for Jesus. Then the story explains “who” he is; he loves us, protects us, helps us, saves us!”

This is a great way to help kids and adults hide the word of God in our heart and helps children apply it to our life. The illustrations are adorable and fun! I can see this being a bedtime favorite for kids and parents alike.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher Tyndale Kids . I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com

Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment