BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

THE NEWSMAKERS by LIS WIEHL REVIEWED


THE NEWSMAKERS
By Lis WiehL
With Sebastian Stuart
Published by Thomas Nelson
ISBN# 13-978-0718037673
352 pages

BACK COVER: TV reporter Erica Sparks has become a superstar overnight. Is it due to her hard work and talent, or is she at the center of a spiraling conspiracy?

Erica Sparks is a beautiful and ambitious reporter who has just landed her dream job at Global News Network in New York. And while it was hard to leave Jenny, her cherished eight-year-old daughter, in the custody of her ex-husband, Erica is determined to succeed in the cutthroat world of big-time broadcasting. She can only hope her troubled past won’t come back to sabotage her dreams.

Although the wounds from her divorce are still fresh, Erica can’t deny the chemistry between her and her new producer, the handsome and empathic Greg Underwood. But a relationship is the last thing she wants right now.

REVIEW: I’ve read other novels by Lis Weihl and enjoyed them because she brought her expertise and experience to the characters. It gave readers a peek into her life and what happens behind the cameras. It gave the novels realism, which made them intriguing and mysterious for me. I read the Triple Threat Series and couldn’t put the books down because of the suspense and drama. Near the end of the series the books got too real and graphic. If it were a movie I would have put my hand over my eyes. The story line of this new novel made me thing it wouldn’t be too graphic. I felt it would be as compelling and have characters I would connect with. I thought it would be like the other novels where I had to keep reading to see what happened next.

Erica Sparks is about to start her job with the Global News Network in N.Y City. Her first day on the job she lands a five minute interview with Kate Middleton in Battery Park at the luncheon tent. Erica gets a firsthand look at an unexpected story that makes late breaking news headlines. She has beat all the news stations to the event because she was at the heart of it. The camera man starts filming and Erica reacts to the situation on instinct. She shows viewers the destruction and tries to sort out what is going on as people panic around Erica.

I read up to chapter eight. I had a hard time relating and caring for the main character. I didn’t like where the story was headed. It wasn’t compelling and moving liked the other novels I’ve read. This novel wasn’t want I expected it to be. I thought it would be like the other novels by this author.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Booklook blog site. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment