BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

AFTER THE BOXES ARE UNPACKED REVIEWED

After the Boxes Are Unpacked
Moving on After Moving In
By Susan Miller
Published by Tyndale
ISBN#
257 Pages

Back cover: An essential relocation guide refreshed and updated for today’s movers.
More than 34 million Americans move each year, and studies show it can be one of the heaviest strains on a marriage. For women especially, relocating can be a traumatic event. With true stories, ingenious insights, and helpful hints, this great book makes transitioning smoother so women can get on with their lives. Those who are moving will find this valuable book as important as packing tape. Divided into three sections, After the Boxes are Unpacked helps recent movers focus on letting go of their past, starting over, and moving ahead. Topics include the following:

How to manage the emotional stress of leaving family and friends
How to support your spouse through a relocation
How to build new relationships in a new city
How to help children adjust to new surroundings and make friends
How to find a new church home
How to navigate financial challenges related to moving
How to discover God’s will for you and your family in a new city

This evergreen book has been a staple for movers for 20 years and has been extensively refreshed with additional content for today’s movers.

REVIEW: This book is well thought out. It's not one that tells you how to pack and label your boxes for moving. This author helps readers help themselves and their family get emotionally reader to move. Then she had steps for them to take to ready to get connected in their new community and thrive in that new environment.

The author gives readers a peek into a few of her moves, and that of some others. Showing there are all types of reasons and ways people get ready to move. This author shows that moving is not just about unpacking and setting up house somewhere else. There is so much that happens from point A to B. I hadn’t thought of the process of grieving, letting go of the past and coping with what you left behind; as you remember what was, and look forward to what is. The author shows how she had to  choose to start over. She says," I had to let God mold me through this process…until I allowed God to refine me and teach me…I couldn’t be ready to move forward in my life…I couldn’t mature in Christ until I let him mend and mold me!”

The author has heart to heart sections in the chapter where she wants to point out a scripture reference to help you look deeper in the situation or matter. Some of the topics mentioned are: Dealing with the emotional stress of leaving family and friends
How to support your spouse through a relocation (and deal with the stress of moving)
How to help children adjust to new surroundings and make friends
How to navigate financial challenges related to moving
How to discover God’s will for you and your family in a new city. This author talks about so much more.

This is such a rich resource on moving, leaving place and setting up things to make your new house a home emotionally. I found it very helpful and something I’ll be re-reading when I move. Change is never easy but this author helps readers cover all their bases. Even ones they didn’t know they had!!

ABOUT AUTHOR: SUSAN MILLER In 1995 I launched Just Moved Ministry out of a desire to offer women around the world the hope and encouragement of Jesus Christ as they cope with their losses and emotional struggles associated with a move, and the many other changes they face in life. Just Moved is a non-profit, global organization that provides resources and personal support to women who have moved, as well as to churches, neighborhoods, seminaries, military installations, and corporations that wish to encourage the uprooted woman and her family.

My desire to help women in transition led to writing several books, including After the Boxes are Unpacked: Moving On After Moving InBut Mom, I Don’t Want to Move!, and My Journey: a Journal for Movers. I also wrote Moving On After Moving In, a 13-session study based on After the Boxes are Unpacked. It is so exciting to know that After the Boxes are Unpacked… is now in its 21st printing, and is still considered a vital tool for bringing the message of hope to women who move.

It has been a privilege to be a guest on many radio programs such as Focus on the Family, with Dr. James Dobson; Family Life Today with Dennis Rainey; Family Life’sParent Talk; The Regina Brett show on NPR station WKSU ; Army Wife Talk Radio; and hosted my own radio talk show, Just Moved! I love knowing I can encourage thousands of women I would never even meet through the venue of radio!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment