BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

A DARING SACRIFICE by JODI HEDLUND REVIEWED


A Daring Sacrifice
By Jodi Hedlund
Published by Zondervan
ISBN# 978-0310749370
224 Pages

Back Cover: In a reverse twist on the Robin Hood story, a young medieval maiden stands up for the rights of the mistreated, stealing from the rich to give to the poor. All the while, she fights against her cruel uncle who has taken over the land that is rightfully hers. Forced to live in the woods and hide with the poor people she's grown to love, she works to save and protect them, but she never anticipates falling in love with the wealthy knight who represents all she's come to despise.

Review: This author has a fun spin on the tale of Robin Hood. I’m a Jodi Hedlund fan so I wanted to check out this YA novel. The story it told through both male and female leads alternating POV’s throughout the story.

It took me a little while to connect with the setting, the characters and their situation. I wondered if it was because I had not read book one in this series titled Uncertain Choice.

Juliana Wessex is orphaned and on the run at a young age. She fears her Uncle as he killed her father and tried to do the same to her so he could obtain their estate. This medieval maiden fears for her life and seeks refuge in the safety in the woods. She becomes the Cloaked Bandit. Similar to the Robin Hood tale she steals from the rich to feed the poor. She has compassion for those less fortunate. She bumps into a childhood neighbor while playing the role of the Cloak Bandit. He recognizes that it’s her and wants to help.

I enjoyed Juliana. She’s a smart, feisty yet tender hearted woman with a soft spot for family. She’s head strong and is quick on her feet. Her childhood friend Collin on the other hand is nice, funny but a little bit arrogant. I enjoyed the banter between the two. It made me smile and it lightened up the story. I enjoyed the well timed humorous moments too; along with the minor characters.

This is a historical romance written for the young romantic about ages 12-16. This would make a fun read and a fun book for book club.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the BookLook Bloggers site. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org 
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com 
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com 

0 comments:

Post a Comment