BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

RESTORE MY SOUL COLORING BOOK REVIEWED


Restore My Soul
By Ann-Margret Hovsepian
Published by Tyndale
ISBN#978-1-4964-9
81 coloring pages

Back Cover: Grab your colored pencils and get ready to refresh your spirit with this coloring book devotional journey! For lovers of the Secret Garden and Enchanted Forest coloring books, Restore My Soul is a beautiful, interactive devotional designed to celebrate our unique creativity and connect us with the ultimate Creator. Find refreshment in short reflections on Scripture and be inspired as you color accompanying intricate illustrations created for meditation and prayer. Both contemplative and imaginative, Restore My Soul is the perfect space for the artist in us all.

REVIEW: I asked to be part of this blog tour because I wanted to discover first hand why people loved these coloring books so much. I googled the question and here are the three top reasons why adult coloring books are so popular (according to CNN)



1. It has the potential to release stress and anxiety, create focus or bring about more mindfulness. Like meditation, coloring allows the brain to switch off other thoughts and focus on creating.

2. A current trend among adults is to seek out childhood experiences. Coloring books are more detailed than those of our youth which helps with the escape and allows adults to feel like a kid again.

3. it’s an excuse to ditch the technology.

I was pleasantly surprised to find several helpful youtube videos on how to be more creative when coloring. Here is the page I colored. I was surprised at how I felt as I colored. On one side the author has a devotional. I read that before I began to color. She told the reader a few things to think about while coloring the page. The scripture focus on the page I colored was on Philippians 4:6-7

Picture I colored
 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

She explains that Jesus is the Peacemaker. When the Holy Spirit enters our lives, He helps our hearts work properly and gives us peace that “surpasses understanding.” (ESV)

I felt peaceful as I began to color. I was reminded of my childhood and the many hours I spent coloring with my sisters and neighbors outside on the picnic table. I was also reminded about the hours we spent coloring with our children when they were young. 

Devotional is to the Left of the Picture

What surprised me was the fact I felt free in choosing colors and how I colored. Unlike the pictures we colored as kids when I felt colors were pretty much standard because they were pictures of real things like animals, people, houses that had set colors (in my mind anyway). When I colored these pages I felt free to experiment and use colors I never would have as a child. I also combined using color pencils and crayons. Something I never would think to do when I was small.
Second Picture I colored

I searched youtube again and found this clip on how to blend colors. Simple, doable helpful tips I felt I could do. Coloring this page was fun.  I liked the fact that I could create something lovely and feel good too. I don’t consider myself an artist but with videos like this one I can make these pages look more alive and vibrant. That is fun! A bonus with this authors coloring books is that scripture is hid in my heart and the passage gets to my soul as I color. It’s a win win. I now see why people love these coloring books.






ABOUT AUTHOR ANN-MARGARET HOSEPIAN is an award-winning writer, editor, and illustrator from Montreal, Quebec. She has had more than 300 articles featured in a variety of Canadian and U.S. print publications. She says, “Ever since I learned the alphabet, I’ve had an irrepressible affinity for the written word…. I’m Armenian…. My parents often found me poring over a dictionary or encyclopedia, or wielding a pen as I attacked word puzzle magazines or my older sister’s English exercise books. .. I loved sciences and assumed I’d end up an astronomer or chemist. I was obviously wrong.”

In 1992, I started working for Home Builder Magazine and, within four years, went from typesetting and proofreading to managing the editorial department, copy editing and copy writing. In 1996, I launched my own business and began picking up desktop publishing, proofreading, copy editing and writing assignments. Nearly two decades later, I’ve had a few hundred articles published in dozens of magazines and newspapers and, something I really didn’t see coming at the beginning, I’m now the author or co-author of four devotional books for preteen girls.

As much as I love writing, I have a greater passion: serving God and telling others about Jesus Christ. I’m involved in many areas of service at my church, but particularly with women’s ministry and missions. When I’m not busy with a writing project or church activity, I enjoy many creative hobbies, such as art journaling, sewing baby quilts, cooking and indoor gardening.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com

2 comments:

  1. Great review.. I'm really enjoying this type of coloring. This book is one I'd choose and thank you for the blending video..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten how much fun Coloring is.

      Delete