BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

A MODERN WAY TO COOK by ANNA JONES REVIEWED


A Modern Way to Cook
By Anna Jones
Published by 10 Speed Press
ISBN# 978-0-399-57842-7
351 Pages HB

ABOUT BOOK: EATING HEALTHY ISN’T ALWAYS EASY when you’re coming home late at night and tired. In this genius new collection of vegetarian recipes, author Anna Jones tackles this common problem, making nourishing vegetable-centered food realistic on any day of the week. The chapters are broken down by time, with recipes that can be prepared in under 15, 20, 30, and 40 minutes, so no matter how busy you are, you can get dinner on the table, whether it be smoky pepper and white bean quesadilla, butternut squash and sweet leek hash, or chickpea pasta with simple tomato sauce. With evocative and encouraging writing, A Modern Way to Cook is a truly practical and inspiring recipe collection for anyone wanting to make meals with tons of flavor and little fuss.

REVIEW: I’ve made several wonderful tasting recipes from this author last book titled, “A Modern Way to Eat,” I was thrilled to see she had another book out. I also like the philosophy in which this author views food and health. She states, “I want standout, delicious food that leaves me feeling energized, light, bright, and satisfied. It’s this intersection between wellness and deliciousness that I strive for with every plat of food I make to eat”

She continues …”It’s important to make a commitment to eating well, but it’s also important to be realistic…(I agree) The author says, “To me, eating well is far simpler than it is often made out to be. Buy good ingredients, cook at home, and make the majority of what you eat plants and vegetables, and listen and react to your body. I don’t think it’s much more complicated than that.” Amen to that!

I found the lay out of this book very helpful. She has the recipes listed in the time it takes to make them. For example the first chapter is titled In the time it takes to set the table. Two Ready in Twenty; Next is On the table in Half an Hour, then Forty-Minute Feasts, and Investment cooking and Super-fast Breakfasts. Last but not least are the chapters titled, Quick desserts and Sweet treats.

The authors’ recipes have easy to follow instructions. Most recipes have several ingredients listed that can be found in most grocery stores. Above most recipes the author talks about the dish you are about to make. I found this interesting. I also liked that the author included a chard that tells the reader of other ingredients that can be substituted. It allows the reader to be creative in making the recipe.

I look forward to trying the following recipes; Carrot and Chickpea Pancake with Lemon-Spiked Dressing, Zucchini Noodles with Pistachio, Green Herbs and Ricotta, Crispy Cauliflower Rice with Sticky Spiced Cashews, Sweet Roasted Zucchini with Crispy Chickpeas. There are Salted Almond Butter Chocolate Bars and Fruit frozen Ice Cream type bars that look yummy too.

I like how this author helps the lay person realistically get a flavorful, healthy mean on the table most days of the week. My whole family loved the other recipes I made from the last book. This book is a beautiful hard back book filled with great information, outstanding looking recipes and lovely color pictures throughout. I can’t wait to try the recipes I mentioned and many I didn’t!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from The Blogging for Books site. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org 
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com 

Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com 

0 comments:

Post a Comment