BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

LIKE FUTURISTIC DYSTOPIAN FICTION? CHECK THIS OUT!

The Returning
By Rachelle Dekker
Published by Tyndale
ISBN#978-1-4964-0229-5
405 pages

ABOUT BOOK: Twenty years have passed since Carrington and Remko Brant’s baby, Elise, was kidnapped and they were forced to leave her captive in the Authority City. Though they fled with the Seers far from Authority reach, they’ve never given up hope of rescuing their daughter from the man who betrayed them. Now Authority President, he’s ushered the city into a new era of “peace” ―one where the Scientist Roth Reynard’s Genesis Serum has eradicated all memory of emotion or rebellion.

REVIEW: The Choosing rocked my world. It’s the first novel in the Seers series. I read book one because I was curious about the writing style of Rachelle whose father is Ted Dekker; one of my favorite authors. I was blown away by The Choosing and the world this author describes. Second book in the series The Calling reminded me a little of the Divergent series in how there was a rebellion going on and how I imagined the lay of the land would look like. Good fighting evil on all fronts; including an internal struggle. The cool thing about this series and the second novel is that there is a character named Aaron who represents Jesus in this story. He encourages people to remember who they are; and their identity lies in Him alone. I have found his encouragement, help me remember things I had forgotten.

In this third installment which begins 20 years after the second book ended. Early on the story is focused on Elise, the daughter of Remko and Carrington Brant. She was taken as a baby and brought to be a prisoner raised in the Authority City. There is a list of characters (as there have been in all the books) describing the different groups and who exacely is in each group and the roles they play. This could be read as a standalone. The author does a good job of catching readers up on what’s gone on in the past books without bogging them down. But to grasp all the richness of this barbaric mind controlling situation and foreign land they live in, I highly suggest reading books one and two and then this final conclusion. It will be a more profound experience that way. Just Saying!

This book is a powerful allegory of how the Lord (Aaron) in this story works in our lives if we are willing. This author had an incredible way of showing the Holy Spirit at work in our hearts and how deep healing takes place when you let it. I was blown away and deeply touched. Aaron keeps telling everyone that it’s in the letting go.

Elise says to Kane, “Surrender is not something that comes easily to me…. Yes, it has been painted as a negative word, hasn’t it? The truth is there is overwhelming power in surrender. In letting go of all you think you know to discover the truth.”

The truth will set you free. I’ve known this for years but to read it and see it at work is a powerful thing. I like how Elise continues to talk to Kane, “Life is a cycle of remembering and forgetting. The Father is in all and with all, and He tells me I am the light of the world. So if I believe His words are true and that we are all the same, created equal, and that I am the light of the world, then you must be too. When I start to forget who, you are, then I, in turn, also start to forget who I am. So, I practice remembering.”

This whole series has been about remembering and forgetting. I’ve realized I’ve done this a lot myself. It made me look at the children of Israel differently. After all they experienced firsthand all the plagues, and miracles like the parting of the red sea etc. This group of people are perfect example of remembering and forgetting. This author brings this message to life in this futuristic world showing the power of forgiveness, the art of letting go, walking in faith and that standing up against fear is possible. This is a book (series) I’ll be re-reading and telling my friends about for their book clubs.This book is a keeper. This author is one to watch.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Tyndale Publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment