BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL WWII DRAMA


WITH LOVE WHEREVER YOU ARE
By Dandi Daley Mackall
Published by Tyndale
ISBN# 1496421213
481 Pages

ABOUT BOOK: Everyone knows that war romances never last . . .
After a whirlwind romance and wedding, Helen Eberhart Daley, an army nurse, and Lieutenant Frank Daley, M.D. are sent to the front lines of Europe with only letters to connect them for months at a time.

Surrounded by danger and desperately wounded patients, they soon find that only the war seems real—and their marriage more and more like a distant dream. If they make it through the war, will their marriage survive?

Based on the incredible true love story, With Love, Wherever You Are is an adult novel from beloved children’s author Dandi Daley Mackall

REVIEW: I enjoyed the fact that this is not your typical WWII love story. I also liked how this author used personal letters with blanked out sections which created an intimate feel.The reader could also see what was censored out of the letters sent to loved ones. Although this story setting is in a hospital and on the battlefield the focus is on relationships.

Each chapter was told from a different POV. The author clearly listed the name of who was speaking in the beginning so you knew who was doing the talking. I felt like this author gave me a front row seat at how families dealt with the craziness of WWII and an insightful look at many of the curve balls that time period had to throw. I was surprised to discover in the end of the book where the author tells, “The Story Behind the Story,” that the letters were actually written by the author's parents during the war. I didn’t realize that mail traveled extremely slow and someone may not receive mail for weeks. But when it finally arrived several letters could arrive at once. I saw how this added to the miscommunication and mishaps of that time period.

In the same section, the author says, “This novel is a work of fiction, based on the stories and letters between Frank and Helen”…The author goes on to state, “Even though I had letters and stories it was tricky imagining thoughts and emotions, adding the conflict and opposition that a novel needs…I kept writing and wrestling into a narrative that would touch a reader’s, heart. “

I think the author accomplished her goal. I like how the story came full circle with the author telling the reader how she came upon these letters and what her parents wanted her to do with them. The author doesn’t bog the reader down with a bunch of facts and statistics, instead, this novel provides a richer understanding of the emotions, fears, questions, and doubts those fighting during WWII had.   After reading the first chapter I was emotionally invested in the story and the characters. When I closed the book, I felt like I had hung out with friends. It didn’t feel like I read a 481-page novel. I walked away having a new insight and learned a few things I hadn’t known before. This is a win, win in my book.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Tyndale Publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine
SVP Promotions

0 comments:

Post a Comment