BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

ENCOURAGING LOVE LETTERS FROM GOD REVIEWED


Love Letters from God
By Glenys Nellist
Illustrated by Rachel Clowes
Published by Zonderkidz
ISBN#978-0-319-752835
Pages

ABOUT BOOK: In this heart-warming picture book designed for girls, author Glenys Nellist tells the inspiring stories of incredible women in the Bible. With beautiful illustrations by Rachel Clowes and sweet lift-the-flap envelopes, each story delivers a special message for children to open as they read their own personal love letters from God. Full of warmth and love, this picture book will fill girls’ hearts with the wonder of the Lord. The stories of Eve, Miriam, Esther, Mary, and many more will delight children and remind them of the bond they can share with God, just like the women of the Bible.

REVIEW: This hard-back book is lovely inside and out. I liked its scrapbook style layout that included love letters from God and beautiful illustrations. The author introduces fourteen women from the bible and their stories to young readers. There is the scripture reference on the top of page, the story retold and a love letter (with a stamp and everything) attached to the page for the reader to open. These intimate letters are written by God. They encourage you and make you think.

The stories inside these pages are Eve, Miriam, Rahab, Deborah, Hannah, Naaman’s Servant Girl, Esther, Mary, the Mother of Jesus, The Samaritan Woman at the well, Women caught in sin, Martha, The Widow’s Mite, Mary Anoints Jesus ‘feet, and Mary Magdalene at the Resurrection.

The story of Miriam is titled The Trusting Girl from Exodus 2:1-10. First line “Miriam was hiding….her eyes fixed on the little basket that was bobbing up and down at the water’s edge.” The tagged scripture is titled, “God’s Wonderful Words to you from Isaiah 41: 13 ,”I am the Lord your God. I take hold of your right hand. I say to you, “Do not be afraid.”

Excerpt from letter says, “…Imagine..that my great big strong hand is holding on to your little one. Trust me. Let go of your fears and trust me. Love, God.”

I found comfort in the letters and a great reminder of some strong women in the bible and how God used them in big ways. This makes for a great devotional and bedtime story for young ones and those for the young at heart. It’s an encouraging read I highly recommend.


ABOUT AUTHOR:  Glenys Says, “Although I live in Michigan, USA, I was born and raised in a little village in northern England.

I grew up in a big old house, with two wonderful parents and seven siblings. My dad was the one who introduced me to the gospel. My mum was the one who encouraged me to work with children.

And at primary school, my teacher was the one who urged me to write. One day a week, I was one of the lucky few withdrawn from the classroom to sit in big, comfy armchairs in the teachers' lounge. There, in front of a roaring log fire, with pencil and paper at the ready, I would write.

I never would have imagined that four decades later, I would be blessed enough to be an author of children's books, or be married to a wonderful husband, or be mum to four sons, and a grandma too. But of course, no eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. (1 Corinthians 2:9) And to God, alone, be the glory.”

ILLUSTRATOR: Rachel Clowes grew up in South London and studied illustration at Cambridge school of Art. She began her career in children’s magazines and has been illustrating ever since. Rachel lives in Yorkshire, England with her husband, also an illustrator, her three sons and two cats.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the Publisher through the BookLookBloggers site. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com
SVP Promotions

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this review. I am always looking for books to share with my young granddaughter and this sounds like a wonderful choice.

    ReplyDelete