BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

KAREN WHITING'S SPECIAL MINISTRY OF SHARING BREAD REVIEWED


The Gift of Bread
(Recipes for the Heart and the Table
By Karen Whiting
Published by Worthy
ISBN#978-1683-970255 HG

ABOUT BOOK: A feast for the senses that combines inviting recipes, thoughtful reflections, encouragement, and instruction for how to live fully on God's provision.
Thirty-one chapters, each featuring detailed and easy-to-follow recipes for bread of every kind, celebrate the many ways we come together around the table. Whether you are a baker who enjoys thoughtful, inspirational writing or a reader who loves a good cookbook, you will find heartfelt stories and inspirations throughout this book. Expert tips, how-tos, and pointers will turn even a novice into a successful baker, and the writing will encourage readers to reach out and share their bounty with others while thanking God for their daily bread.

REVIEW: There is so much I adored about this book and the author. This author has a passion for making and sharing bread that reflects her heart and faith. The author explains the threefold purpose of bread, “Sustenance that meets the need for nourishment, fellowship found in breaking bread together, and our covenant relationship with God.”

The author describes her feelings about bread, “…when the inviting aroma of bread fills the air, it beckons people to sit and enjoy a relaxing time at the table. Nothing seems to warm hearts and open conversation as well as fresh-baked bread…. “For me, faith and bread will always be linked together. Bread has always been a passion for my family and me. My grandmothers and mother taught me to bake bread, I, in turn, passed on my joy of bread making to my five children.”

Sprinkled throughout the book are Food for Thought segments that make the reader think. Each chapter has a “Lovin from the Lord” that talks about a Bible verse and story related to subject being discussed; followed by a bread recipe. At the end of every chapter is a “Leaves with a morsel of bread” like this one “Give Jesus, The Bread of Life, a Special Place in your Heart.” Again, this sentence/quote/verse reflects the chapter discussion.

There is so much I adored about this book and the author. This author has a passion for making and sharing bread that reflects her heart and faith. The author explains the threefold purpose of bread, “Sustenance that meets the need for nourishment, fellowship found in breaking bread together, and our covenant relationship with God.”

The author describes her feelings about bread, “…when the inviting aroma of bread fills the air, it beckons people to sit and enjoy a relaxing time at the table. Nothing seems to warm hearts and open conversation as well as fresh-baked bread…. “For me, faith and bread will always be linked together. Bread has always been a passion for my family and me. My grandmothers and mother taught me to bake bread, I, in turn, passed on my joy of bread making to my five children.”

Sprinkled throughout the book are Food for Thought segments that make the reader think. Each chapter has a “Lovin from the Lord” that talks about a Bible verse and story related to subject being discussed; followed by a bread recipe. At the end of every chapter is a “Leaves with a morsel of bread” like this one “Give Jesus, The Bread of Life, a Special Place in your Heart.” Again, this sentence/quote/verse reflects the chapter discussion.

This author encourages and feeds the readers body and soul. I liked that the author included semi-homemade recipes which gave ideas for entertaining unexpected guests. The four recipes I tried were easy to make, had easy to find ingredients, instructions and my family loved them. I was thrilled the bread recipes turned out to look lovely and taste great. It was a win win for me. The ones I tried are Honey-of-an-egg Whole Wheat Bread, Sally Lunn Bread, Cinnamon Raisin Bread and Judy’s Zucchini Bread. I can’t wait to try more. I was so surprised that every recipe worked without a bread machine and there was no long extensive kneading process required to make them.

I highly recommend this book for anyone that wants to share the gift of bread and have the bread of life honored in your home, at the dinner table, and in your heart.


ABOUT AUTHOR: Karen Whiting is an international speaker, award winning author, and former television host. Karen loves to splash creativity and faith on pages as she writes.

Her inspirational craft books for girls come from fun she had raising her daughters as well as getting creative with other girls. Her first book for boys released in October 2015 (The One Year Devotions for Active Boys). New and upcoming releases include Raising a Modern Day Princess (Focus on the Family Publishing) and 52 Week Devotions for Busy Families (Rosekidz).

Her book, My Princess Devotions, won the 2014 Christian Retailing Best Award for children's nonfiction. Her book, Stories of Faith and Courage from the Home Front won the Military Writer Society of America Gold Medal, faith category.

Karen speaks to many groups of women and moms as well as mother-daughter events to share laughter, stories, on topics ranging from building strong relationships, managing time, to appreciating the contributions of women of faith in our history.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine

SVP Promotions 

0 comments:

Post a Comment