BOOK FUN MAGAZINE - FREE READ

HIS STEADFAST LOVE REVIEWED

His Steadfast Love
By Julie Lessman
Published by
ISBN# B071K6ZQJH
543 Pages

ABOUT BOOK: She’s bent on fun. He’s bent on faith. Till true love bridges the gap.

Cat O’Bryen is the prodigal daughter unhappy with God. First, the father with whom she reconciled dies of cancer and now her twin sister and best friend marries, leaving Cat at home with a newlywed mother, her new husband, and a little brother. But when Cat moves in with a roommate of questionable morals, her family is worried, certain she’s on a path that could damage her faith forever.

Reluctant to get involved with a woman like the one who destroyed his life, ex-Navy Seal Pastor Chase Griffin steers clear of the attraction he feels for Cat O’Bryen. Until her family begs him to take her under his wing, hoping he can draw her back into the fold. But when the draw she has on him proves too strong to resist, he must rely on the strength of God to offer a friendship as steady and strong as the God whose love is wooing her home.

REVIEW: I’m blown away at how this author welcomes readers with open arms into the family she’s created. I felt like I was right there joining in the fun and laughter, getting teary eyed a few times and found myself biting my nails wondering how things would work out for a few family members caught in sticky and serious situations. The O’Bryen family is large, loving, passionate and in pursuit of happiness -true happiness that can only be realized in Christ.

I loved how this author naturally intertwines the spiritual thread into her story. I liked how she let the conversation flow naturally. And even the preacher wasn’t preachy when he tries to explain what true love is to Cat. She can’t comprehend an “unconditional” love he describes and if it does exist she doesn’t think she’s worthy of it. She felt like she needed to get cleaned up and/or be perfect to be worthy of God’s love.

Cat says, “I just don’t see how he can love me as much as he loves Shannon. (her twin sister) I’ve messed up so much and continued to mess up, as my relationship with Cooper obviously proves.”

Pastor Chase says, “Everyone on the planet messes up….His love is greater than our sin. His steadfast love never changes no matter what we say or do. Stop looking at every Christian like they are better than you.”

I liked how the author showed that even after we accept Christ as Lord and savior we still have issues to deal with. We don’t become perfect. I loved the fact that the author talked about the lies we believe about ourselves, God and others. I liked how Tess dealt with her fear and her issues with jealousy. She wasn’t going to let feelings run her life; even if at times she had to give her thoughts and feelings over to the Lord to steady her emotions minute by minute. I adored Tess’s transparency and how this family was living out scripture; full of passion and fun. It’s not a boring life the way Cat saw it.

Things get intense for Cat as she discovers what true love is the hard way what true is and what it’s not. She also learns (almost too late) how to set boundaries and not let her passionate feelings get her in trouble. Chase tells Cat how with God, boundaries and good friends she can stick to her convictions and keep things honorable while dating and/or in a marriage relationship. She gets a glimpse of what true love here on earth looks like and how our heavenly father wants to love us and have us love each other.

The setting of this story is near a city I adore. Isle of Hope is near Savannah GA. Part of the novel shows readers a few sites around town like LuLu’s Chocolate Bar (which I googled – it’s lovely.) Her characters ordered luscious desserts and had so much fun there. I’ve put this on my must go to list. I highly recommend this novel as a great read and one that would work well for book club.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine

SVP Promotions

2 comments:

  1. NORA!!! Love, Love, LOVE this review, my sweet friend, and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE you!!

    Thank you SO much for taking the time to read and review HSL -- I am beyond blessed by you, your review, and your friendship!

    Hugs and more hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the opportunity to read your book and tell others about it. It's my pleasure. Big Jesus Hugs to you Dear one! :o)

      Delete